Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I have never given a schedule to any client, except when doing commercial for an architect. Just a completion date.

I use a formulated list that I have coded to write scopes and do schedules. I use Project software to build a CPM schedule, with alerts for selections, ordering and releasing packages.

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
Google "Gantt Chart". There are several examples and explanations.

Schedules are generally put out in 3 wek increments, but do what ever works best for you.

Almost any format you choose will suffice. After about three days the schedule doesn't mean anything anyways...:laughing:

Don't forget to keep a daily log book and logs for RFP's, RFI's, Submittals and C/O's....probably other stuff I have forgot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Unlike Jaws, we provide a schedule for all projects (commercial) regardless of size. It becomes part of the contract documents. We use Microsoft Project. Basically you put down on paper what you already have in your head so everyone knows what's go on, who's responsible for what and when. At the end of the day it's a CYA tool. It's easier for the Plumber to ask for an extra few days when he stared the job late because the framer finished late because of bad weather.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I just don't see the payout giving anybody else my schedule. It doesn't do anything for them or for me.

The length of the project is stated in my contract. I have never missed one of those deadlines. I don't need to cover my ass what a schedule, I keep a daily log or the lead does, it provides documentation of bad weather days, selection delays by the client, etc.

I guess I would be interested and how it helps you to give anybody else your schedule.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I do send an email or give a call with a great deal of notice for any selection items that need to be made. Communication is key, I let them know what is just been done and what we are about to do. Just don't hand them a schedule though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jaws, I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. Just saying that our ways are not the same as the way Jaws does things. Detailed schedules are important part on how we do business. It makes our lives a lot easier. When a sub signs the contract he knows well in advance when he needs to start and when he needs to finish. Same with the owner, if he has tasks that effect our work, he knows well in advance. Like I said earlier; it's a CYA thing for us. "No Excuses, no surprises" mentality.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
reading my own post it sounds defensive. Lol. That's not how I intended it. I was truly just curious.

we schedule the subs at the beginning of the project, and then we give them the real date about two weeks out. Lol. What we do give them a lot of advance notice. I guess I can see where giving the clientthe schedule would be a good thing.

I wouldn't though, at least the way we do things. It would be a nightmare every time those dates were wrong 3 months down the road. Every builder knows some things are going to fall behind and others are going to make up for that, a common homeowner is not going to. I wouldn't have as big an issue giving a construction schedule to an owner's rep , someone who knew what they were doing for a commercial project. Usually an owner's rep is an ex contractor or a current contractor. They will understand what the losing ground and making up ground is all about.

·
Registered
423 Posts
OK, I wasn't thinking of working with a home owner. I guess builders have a little freedom where on the commercial side our "critical path" dates are fixed and generally not very flexible. 90% of our commercial clients are experienced. If we are behind according to our schedule, the first thing the CM wants to know is how you are going to make up that time, not how does it change the completion date. We push lots of paper and updating the schedule is just another weekly thing that we do.

I could imagine a HO calling asking why the plumber isn't there when the schedule said he should be. That would drive me nuts as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I hear you. I learned critical path scheduling as a commercial foreman and super. There was no flexibility really. Big time subs need a lot of advance, so do suppliers. A few we did for the state Supreme Court had liquidated damages. Learned how to ramrod a job from the end date back to the beginning for sure.

My completion dates don't change as a residential contractor, the scheduling changes everyday though. It's like a guideline. I also allow more fat in the timeline than any project manager ever gave me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts