Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is ok to start in the middle of a room and spline back the other direction after one side is done. Im doing it this way because it is an insurance job and i need to fit around fire place trim. Planning on putting wood glue in the tongue and grove for strength thank you.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Absolutely, do it all the time. Actually every time in large open areas as it cuts your expansion in half.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
I was wondering if it is ok to start in the middle of a room and spline back the other direction after one side is done. Im doing it this way because it is an insurance job and i need to fit around fire place trim. Planning on putting wood glue in the tongue and grove for strength thank you.

Yes, use a slip tongue/spline.

There is a DIY sister site to get more info.:jester:

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Iv'e always wondered why the floor mills don't make board with a tongue on both sides to make changing directions easier...Id keep a few bundles in the shop...who's with me?..
:thumbsup:
Yep, wondered the same thing myself. Heck, they could charge twice as much for 'em and it would be worth it to me. I can make my own splines and do most of the time, but it takes time....

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Because of mass production, those boards would be mass produced too. The problem with that, it would be a totally different production line, the stock would have to be wider to have enough meat to mill a tongue on both sides and the prefinished may look totally different as it often does with different production runs.:eek:

It would stick out like Dolly Pardon, standing in a runway model line up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would think that distributors could work with a local shop in their area to mill these boards...I'm sure if they were available hardwood guys would buy em....I do agree that it wouldn't work with prefinished..

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I had a flooring installer tell me that you can't start a floor off of an interior wall, that it has to start off of an exterior. The problem is, the longest exterior wall was 15' long and it was run toward a 42' long interior wall, around a circular stairwell too. Needless to say, by the time they made it to the wall, it ran from a full board at one end, to 1 3/4 at the other. Also had a couple buckles in it from working around the stairwell. After arguing with the installer and the flooring supplier who hired them, they basically installed the floor for free. I wanted it ripped out, but the HO was willing to take the discount.
After it was all over, the installation manager said that the reason it was done that way was because they don't like to slip-spline engineered flooring. Even though they had to do it around the stairway anyhow.:furious:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts