Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase tongs or a grapple for setting architectural precast and granite. Does anyone have any experience with any of the different ones available. I am looking for 1500 to 2000 pounds capacity. Were pretty efficient with straps, but I figure it's time to step up.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to do that CJ, but there are four letters keeping me from it.
OSHA. If anything happened and one of my guys gets hurt i'm screwed.
We would mainly be lifting granite stairs and precast.
Probst makes a nice one. Can lift from 3 to 24 inches wide up to 1300 pounds. Price tag with accessories is over $1700.
Don't want to be cheap but I want to make sure whatever I buy is going to do what I need it to do.

Tim

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Have you tried lewis pins?
I'll use home made stainless pins and transport grades of log chain, in the smallest sizes that give at least a 4 to one safety margin.
Just avoid drilling pin holes in faces, and fill all holes completely to prevent frost damage.

The more versitile the clamp the more likely it will won't allow the unit to be landed very near final position when backup masonry is used...

I found that the use of very high $ rigging creates bottle necks as the single vital componet is tied up, dening its use by the prep team. several clamps would be needed to out produce a similar crew that had even 2000.00$ of sling rigging and accessories...

Some versions of packing strapping allows for single use at a fraction of the costs of any tested and engineered clamps, the thin cut straps can be easily removed or cut short and partially left in place. Softer stones would require some corner protectors.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I will be using this with my Lull, shop forklift or my backhoe with forks.
The material that i set isn't always flat.
I have worked with vacuum lifts. They are very nice, but they can't be used if the material isn's flat.
I didn't even think about the versatility limiting ability.
I will try to post a pic of what I'm looking at.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
Tim

·
Registered
759 Posts
The company I work for has a variety of clamps. One of them is the clamp you have pictured as far I can tell from the picture. Clamps are worth their weight in gold. The labor savings and increase in production pays for them in no time. Not to mention the reduced chances of injury.
If your crew is getting tied up waiting for the clamp, it's time to get a second or third clamp. Rent another machine if needed.
The clamp pictured is good for setting coping and treads. It has a built in memory. It will stay open to the set width for the operator to place over the stone with out getting off the machine. After it is placed over the stone it will release and grip the stone. Once set it will remain open again.
If you plan on doing panel work a scissor clamp is what you will need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts