Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, and Happy Fathers Day!

This is my first time posting to this forum. Recently I was at a trade show and met another general contractor, and he was telling me about a buyers manual he made for his pre-sold buyers. The manual told the buyers where to go to choose all their materials, informed them of when the materials had to be picked out for them to be included in the home (so they didn't hold up his timeline), and informed them of who their subs were and the warranties they were offered, etc. It even gave them troubleshooting ideas for when they moved in.

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar manual, and if they would be willing to share it with me. I had meant to get his contact information, but then got caught up with something else and lost him at the show.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have one when I was Building. I will look for a copy, but it was actually two manuals, one that all buyers received and one that was made up for buyers that went to contract before completion.

Here is an outline for you though;
Home Manual
1-Welcome to your new home, you must take care of it for it to last, here are some suggested things...
2-Guide to your homes systems, Hvac, Plumb, Elect, ect, Panel locations, water cut off location, clean outs, drains , ect ect...
3- Directory of Subs and Selections used in this home with Phone numbers.
4- Warranty Info by Product / System with pre defined Punch List Dates, (like 30 day, 6 month, 1 year)

Pre Completion Buyers Package
1- Welcome, you have bought before this home is complete, therefore you may make some choices.
2- List of choices with cut off stages for making selections. IE; Wall color must be selected by Drywall Start.
3- List of Subs/Vendors and Contacts

We always let the Vendors know the allowance for whatever they sold and if the customer wanted an upgrade they had to pay the vendor directly for it in advance.

The Home buyers warranty (any 10 year program) has a good written warranty that you can use for the warranty section of the manual, and if you use them it will supersede your warranty anyway most of the time.

If you want a real printed example, go to any national builder in your area and ask an agent for a copy of their warranty book, Say you want to see before you buy.

You will put a lot of effort into these but they are worth it, it's always surprising how little some people know about how a building works.

Marcus

1 - 2 of 2 Posts