Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple weeks my company will be doing some work on a porch floor for a long standing customer.

For a variety of reasons vertical grain doug fir is the material selected.

I would really like to pre-prime the back side of this before installation and there will be about 120 pieces of the stuff to do.

anybody have a simple,neat,clean,EFFICIENT way to do this????
thanks,
Stephen

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Efficient, like how? I just set it up on the horses and use a sprayer. I'd not only pre-prime, but pre-paint as well.
That's great, but a huge problem we see with this approach (our only), is that either the paint build up or the swelling makes installation a nightmare!! They don't fit together.....

I don't have the answer... painting/priming all six sides is best, but maybe just rolling the faces with a vapor barrier on the ground and venting is the most efficient.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
We do 1000s of feet of vertical grain fir. Standard procedure is to have the lumber delivered to our painter who sprays primer then delivers. We have the same issue every time. Raw wood fits together fine, once it's primed we struggle.....

I'm not arguing. Perhaps we need to let the primed wood acclimate for a bit before installation. Maybe someone here knows the solution....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
That's great, but a huge problem we see with this approach (our only), is that either the paint build up or the swelling makes installation a nightmare!! They don't fit together.....

I don't have the answer... painting/priming all six sides is best, but maybe just rolling the faces with a vapor barrier on the ground and venting is the most efficient.
Eggsactly.
The tongues swell, the grooves narrow, the contractor commits suicide.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eggsactly.
The tongues swell, the grooves narrow, the contractor commits suicide.
Boy, I was kind of hoping a guy who specialized in porch and deck work had a secret answer, LOL !

In the past when we pre-paint we end up with little goobers on the edges and tongues etc. that would effect the installation-as others have already mentioned.
currently planning to prime ONLY the back side-probably with an oil based primer,prior to installation--and DEFINITELY not prime or paint the the top sides or ends untill after installation.
hoping the oil based primer will result in less swelling.

I know a few years ago we used an oiled clear coat finish on top and bottom and had minimal difficulties with THAT floor.

thanks all,
stephen

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't know that I've done thousands of feet of porch floor, but I've done a few pre-primed and pre painted and did not have a problem. I sprayed it myself, so I did not have "goobers" of paint on the tongue or groove.

Maybe if you're having a problem, you're laying it on too thick.

I would think if you had a couple that didn't want to go together, a swipe with a rabbet plane would fix it.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
Can't be too much help, but last time I did this I used a clear WRWP that could be painted in a couple days. This was on pine T&G, but I don't remember the product name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts