Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ever done concrete work but I am redoing a sidewalk for my mom. its right ata yard. iI have two different guys that's going to finish for me. one says we can rent a mixer and use premix, ( would be about 42 bags) the other guy said we need to get it delivered because premix doesn't finish as nice. I talked to the concrete co and they said 3 yd min unless they would have some left over at the end of the day, which trying to get everybody at the last min will be a pain.
I would like to see what u all would do since I don't much about flat work

·
Registered
908 Posts
Bagged mixes don't work well here in WI, as they don't have air entrainment, so they typically spall after the first winter or two. Not sure how many freeze/thaw cycles you get in your climate.

Also, I'd check with another ready-mix supplier. All of them will deliver as little as 1 yard, although there is a sliding scale "cartage" charge on anything under 5 yards........

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The premix bags aren't very good for finishing, they use the wrong aggregate here. Plenty strong, just a crappy finish.

I have done lots of one yard mixes with my drum mixer. Stone, Sand, and Portland in a 3-2-1.5 ratio will yield some very decent concrete, however for the labor and rental of the mixer just pay the short load fee for a concrete truck, trust me.

Call a different concrete yard or if you can find one a mix on site guy.

The place here will deliver one yard any time, but you basically get charged for two after the short load fee.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use premix if it's going to take a while to get the concrete placed, here my local charges after 1 hour if the truck is still on site,
So if it's a tight walkway or not easy got by wheelbarrow premix it is.
Also it it's out side the walkway should have a brush finish or something like that not finish smooth.....

Will post a few pics when I go back to remove forms on Monday if I remember.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use premix if it's going to take a while to get the concrete placed, here my local charges after 1 hour if the truck is still on site,
So if it's a tight walkway or not easy got by wheelbarrow premix it is.
Also it it's out side the walkway should have a brush finish or something like that not finish smooth.....

Will post a few pics when I go back to remove forms on Monday if I remember.
If I had it delivered the truck can back right up to it. it shouldn't take 20 min to lay it down and the truck is done.

·
Registered
677 Posts
scottktmrider said:
If I had it delivered the truck can back right up to it. it shouldn't take 20 min to lay it down and the truck is done.
K.... But not every pour is the same or easy access or size.
10 mins per yard is the rule we go by,

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
You're not even talking a yard of concrete - around here we just go and pick it up :thumbup:

It's the only way to make money on certain small jobs ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Back in the "good old days" several concrete yds. around here had 1 yd. trailers available for use with the purchase of a yd. of concrete from them. Have not seen that in awhile however,they may be available in your area. It would be worth calling around.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Quit fvcking around...

Pay the short haul and be done with it.

42 bags, a mixer, the labor, not a contiguous pour, on and on and on...

Not your fault or concern what the cost is...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with Griz^^^but I disagree with the thinking that you can't get a good finish with sackcrete. Most people simply put waaaaay to much water in it, and then work it until every little rock is at the bottom.

Reactions: Windwash

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I agree with Griz^^^but I disagree with the thinking that you can't get a good finish with sackcrete. Most people simply put waaaaay to much water in it, and then work it until every little rock is at the bottom.
The 5000psi is nice to work with,...I can pull a glass finish if needed...their regular mix, I always add a pinch of Portland to spruce it up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you would need to rent a mixer go to the supply yard grab sand cement and stone or even bags of quickrete the time you would waste doing all of that would equal out to having a concrete truck even with a 3 yard minimum pour it. If you owned a mixer it'd be a completely different story

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
I just poured 6 footing piers the other day, pretty much 1 yard right on. I had full intentions of mixing up premix for it, done it many times in the past. By the time I was ready to pour, it was about noon and I had second thoughts about the time.

Called the yard and asked if they could swing me a yard and they said they would call when they were ready to bring it. Went for lunch and 1 bite into my burger they called and said they were on their way.

Got it done in much less time, and the materials were less by going with the truck.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The concrete plant here would bring you out a 5 gallon bucket full, if that's all you want. They just charge a short truck fee.

Regular price here is $114 a yard.....if you just buy one yard, it will cost $160. It just makes since for me to pay them to bring it out , rather than chop bags of quick- crete for an hour or more.....easier, too :thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The concrete plant here would bring you out a 5 gallon bucket full, if that's all you want. They just charge a short truck fee.

Regular price here is $114 a yard.....if you just buy one yard, it will cost $160. It just makes since for me to pay them to bring it out , rather than chop bags of quick- crete for an hour or more.....easier, too :thumbsup:
I'd call a mobile mix truck, sure you would have to pay a small fee for the truck but you only pay for the exact amount concrete you use. And it's mixed fresh before your eyes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts