Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm remodeling my basement and I've run into a snag. I'm planning on using 5/8" dry wall instead of 1/2". The jams on the pre-hung doors I've bought are 4 1/2" wide. My walls will be 3 1/2 (the 2 x 4s) plus 3/4 for the dry wall= 4 1/4". That leaves 1/8" extra on each side. Will this be a problem when I go to trim out the door?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glasshousebltr said:
set the door to one side and expand the jamb a little over 1/4.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for your response. I'm not a pro so please excuse my lack of knowledge. How do I expand the jam?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
That's a new one on me. Both will follow the studs.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If 5/8 is smoother than 1/2 maybe you should try 3/4. Your walls'd be as smooth as a cheerleaders...uh, they'd be very, very smooth :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I think what everybody is saying is putting in 5/8 is not going to gain you anything, other than a sore back, more tedium working with the drywall and having to custom build door jams.

Millions of square feet of 1/2 drywall go up every year. If it was me I would stick with 1/2 inch. I would even return it if it is already there and get 1/2 inch at this point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Use whatever you want for board...bottom line is that you'll have to make extension jambs....rip 3/4 stock a clam proud of the plaster or whatever and keep it back 3/8ish for a reveal. no brainer.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Methinks that we have a Maineiac or a clown.
I'll bite. How much is a clam? If you're paying more than 15 cents, you're getting ripped.

·
smartazz contractor
81 Posts
fabiano said:
I'm remodeling my basement and I've run into a snag. I'm planning on using 5/8" dry wall instead of 1/2". The jams on the pre-hung doors I've bought are 4 1/2" wide. My walls will be 3 1/2 (the 2 x 4s) plus 3/4 for the dry wall= 4 1/4". That leaves 1/8" extra on each side. Will this be a problem when I go to trim out the door?

your wall is proly more like 3 5/8 + 5/8 + 5/8 = 4 7/8
and last I knew jambs came 4 9/16

:leaving

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I met a chic one time, she was hitching just south of St Augustine FL. She had been (shucking?) clams all day and had just been paid.......I gave her a ride, then we took the truck out for a spin.

Bob

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I gave her a ride, then we took the truck out for a spin.
Glass, you don't by chance have a side job writing letters for Penthouse Forum, do you? :cheesygri :cheesygri :Thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response..a "clam" is short for a clam hair, which is also known as a c-hair...which I think you can figure out...lol. It is a common measurement at MIT...not. ROFL.

-old

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
27, In engineering it is referred to as a RCH, FRCH or VFRCH.
R= red, F=fine and V=very
My studies on human hair show a range from 0.0038 to 0.0024.
I was a kid with a new Starrett micrometer that read in 10th's, I measured everything.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
27, In engineering it is referred to as a RCH, FRCH or VFRCH.
R= red, F=fine and V=very
My studies on human hair show a range from 0.0038 to 0.0024.
I was a kid with a new Starrett micrometer that read in 10th's, I measured everything less than an inch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Teeter I'm new to forum ebonics is there some place I can find a ebonics schedule.
PHP:
RCH, FRCH or VFRCH
Code:
ROFL.
:confused:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
magnum, ck your PM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts