Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
General Contractor
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to the folks who work with and manage sheetrock. What do you all typically use to furr-out/shim framing to prevent dips, curves, etc. in finished plane of drywall. Moved to central Texas from the weat coast not long ago and I'm at a loss. In Seattle we used to buy big boxes from a local supplier called GTS. Then just keep extras handy for various furring/shimming applications. But primarily used for furring out wonky framing pre-GWB hang. Finding it difficult to find them in the Austin area--big box stores, general building supply places, even drywall-specific distributors.

Is this a regional thing? What do folks do around here to fine-tune framing before cover? Aside from doing it right the first time 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ In my mind there's only so much good tape and float work can fix--even a big ol' darby.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

Registered
General Contractor
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, yes, I realize I can make them (turns out it's actually cheaper to buy them, from a resource standpoint). And I can also use Google.

I'm less concerned about acquiring the actual product/solution and more interested in people's materials and methods--especially as they differ regionally.

Registered
What do the pros do?

every time I rip anything on a tablesaw I size and mark the cut off, I keep plenty on hand and 16th inch increments, when I remodel I use my big level to check the wall and shim as flush as I can get it鈥. otherwise you just throw away the scrap!

Registered
I have found it to be very location dependant. When I first discovered these ( 10 yrs ago, 15, 20??) nobody around my area ( Charlottesville, VA) that I talked to was familiar with them. None of the builder supply houses I talked to were familiar with them. I did find a place in Richmond, VA ( little over 1 hr drive/ ~ 70 miles away) that was familiar with them, sold them regularly.

Registered
General Contractor
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dunno... Seems like if you routinely need to buy shims like that in bulk, you might want to look at sharpening up your framing skillz. Or stop buying pretzel studs.
Fair enough. Although I'd encourage you to consider the times that you've dealt with framing that wasn't yours. Power planer, butt strips, straightedge can sometimes be most efficient tools in correcting existing framing.

I have found it to be very location dependant. When I first discovered these ( 10 yrs ago, 15, 20??) nobody around my area ( Charlottesville, VA) that I talked to was familiar with them. None of the builder supply houses I talked to were familiar with them. I did find a place in Richmond, VA ( little over 1 hr drive/ ~ 70 miles away) that was familiar with them, sold them regularly.
Thank you--this is more what I was getting at with the initial post. Interesting that the town over was using them--not even a state thing! I bet someone could write a Ph.D. dissertation on regional variances in construction methodologies. Not to mention names/slang.
Maybe forget the shims, and go steel stud....
I'd like to, and have done that several times to correct ceilings that are all over the place. Shoot laser, sister steel studs to existing ceiling joists, and go to capture the perfectly level plane pre-GWB, cabinets, woodwork, etc. Unfortunately, metal stud material and labor can get cost-prohibitive pretty quickly.

Thanks for the responses y'all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts