Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got updated on the new Mass law on power vented boilers and water heaters for any replacements or new installs, I guess they are reto as of 08/01/2005

Now we have to install a CO detector for the unit on the same floor the unit is installed and powered from the same power supply of the unit.

It all so has to be battery back and it looks like we have to connect it to another detector on the floor/floors where any bedrooms are located.

It looks like they also want us to raise the height of the direct vent from the ground to 4 feet?? Hope theres no windows around

Where do these guys come up with this stuff

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
BJD,

I just ordered a new code book thru PHCC of MA, it comes as one book in one binder. Apparently if you buy from the state bookstore it comes in three sections.

I heard there is a lot of changes and the biggest one being you can read the code book(clearly) without interpretation being an issue.

An inspector was just telling me that he/she who calls for the inspection must be present at the jobsite with a current issue of the code book.

I have not had the pleasure to hear about the venting issues you describe. But, just remember that the manufacturer specs override the codes, or at least they used to!?!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you kidding me... they want me to carry a copy of the cade book for a fffffff insepction!!!

What will they come out with next, no ah we replace a gas fired boiler with a power vented unit due to the flue not passing code, when I called for an inspection I was informed about the changes and had to hire a guy to rewire the house for CO dects.

Just letting you know that even a replacement water heater power or dircet vent, you must up grade. Now for the funny part gas dryers are not included.

Of all the things that could go bad you would figger its the one that is in the closet, some times in the bathroom and its not required.

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wish I was kidding! As I type this I realize I should of ordered more than one. You are going to need one for every dashboard and the office. I thought the price was a little steep($120.00). I think the last time I bought one they were $35.00. Also, I think you can download the code book from the state's website.

Thanks for the heads up! :Thumbs: I can't wait to curl up and read the new one!! :rolleyes: :cheesygri

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just but one and send it to office max, let them make me a few copies.

May be a lot cheaper than buying them.

BJD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts