Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to consider promoting power vent w/h's for households of 4+. But, wanted to run it by over here. Hope to get some to see my way, and think I might actually make some sense. ;)

The biggest feature is the heat recovery rate, something that is greatly overlooked.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Standard here, we don't use chimneys.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
You can get 65k btu standard vents all day long.

Didn't you participate in the last water heater thread?

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You can get a bigger conventional water heater cheaper than the upgrade to a power vent, so I can get more hot water for less money. If I really wanted capacity I wouldn't play around with a tank at all and go tankless, I installed a Takagi Mobius one in my sisters house and now my brother in law takes hour long showers on his off days, just because he can.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get a bigger conventional water heater cheaper than the upgrade to a power vent, so I can get more hot water for less money. If I really wanted capacity I wouldn't play around with a tank at all and go tankless, I installed a Takagi Mobius one in my sisters house and now my brother in law takes hour long showers on his off days, just because he can.
Tankless have some issues as well. Heck all setups have their pros and cons. The thing about getting a bigger tank is, they aren't all that cheap, and, it's not the most efficient use of gas. There is also the issue about the bigger flue and make up air (possibly).

Most househoulds shower up during the same time of the day (before work / school). They don't necessarily need more hot water, they just need a quicker way of heating the water.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Just get one with a bigger burner.

Standard 40-50's have a 40k btu burner. You can get the same size/footprint heater with a bigger burner for 100 or so.

And the reason you don't remember your breakfast flash is cause you use too many herbs.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
flashheatingand said:
Oh, now I see the footprint part. So, if a fella wanted to order said part, what would he call it without getting a quizical look at the supply house?
I just tell the counter guy that I'd like the one with the bigger burner. He knows what's up so I don't have to.

I'll go see if I can find my price book and I'll take a photo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Conventional vented tanks are going to be weeded out in the next few years, they are not permitted in new homes in alberta Canada .The new homes have no chimney

1 - 14 of 14 Posts