Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

power tool spinning the meter.

3977 Views 39 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  jlsconstruction
Anybody have an idea on how much($) the use of power tools effect the electric bill? Typical field stuff, power saws, nail guns, sprayers, sawzall, ...etc.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
No, but I doubt it's much.
I can give you an exact number tomorrow, for the amount of kW we've used on our current job from the date the meters were installed
Check the wattage/amperage of the tool in question and convert to kilowatts and multiple by the hours tools runtime. For example, a 15a 120v saw uses 1800w or 1.8 kilowatts. Electric is sold by the kiloWatt /hour which is 1 kilowatt for 1 hour.
So pretty much you're saying "good luck finding out" :laughing:
Dustincoc said:
Check the wattage/amperage of the tool in question and convert to kilowatts and multiple by the hours tools runtime. For example, a 15a 120v saw uses 1800w or 1.8 kilowatts. Electric is sold by the kiloWatt /hour which is 1 kilowatt for 1 hour.
No it doesn't, throw a meter on that saw and get back to me.
Reactions: Tinstaafl
What's confusing?

Volts * Amps =Watts

Watts/1000=kilowatts

Fill in the numbers you know and solve for the number you don't have. You only need to do the calculations in this instance if you have amps instead of watts since watts is what matters for your question. More watts = more expensive
So pretty much you're saying "good luck finding out" :laughing:
Well, OK. I'm giving the textbook solution which neglects to account for some factors. :)
No it doesn't, throw a meter on that saw and get back to me.
It's not viable at all, the draw is based on load.
Well, OK. I'm giving the textbook solution which neglects to account for some factors. :)
How many hours is my worm saw, chop saw, sawzall, heater, lights, drills, ect. going to be running tomorrow? That's what you will never know. So how would you calculate that?
Dustincoc said:
What's confusing? Volts * Amps =Watts Watts/1000=kilowatts Fill in the numbers you know and solve for the number you don't have. You only need to do the calculations in this instance if you have amps instead of watts since watts is what matters for your question. More watts = more expensive
Or what the draw of the tools will be....

Slap a ted 5000 on your extension cord.
How many hours is my worm saw, chop saw, sawzall, heater, lights, drills, ect. going to be running tomorrow? That's what you will never know. So how would you calculate that?
12kwh for a 1300sf house start to finish
18kwh for 2100sf.

So, like a dollar or two for a small house.
Reactions: Agility
Why is this question being asked anyway?Has the contract gone into such detail?
It's a forum, it's designed for pointless questions.
Why is this question being asked anyway?Has the contract gone into such detail?
Or what the draw of the tools will be....

Slap a ted 5000 on your extension cord.

Like I said, its the textbook solution which neglects to consider a few factors. I didn't say it would be easy to come up with the numbers. I'm a theatre lighting guy, lights suck the same power all the time.
Reactions: jlsconstruction
I make the customer pay for all utilities, I buy fuel for the salamanders until the furnace gets turned on
It's so in accurate it doesn't even qualify as a solution. You would get better results with random numbers on a dart board.
Like I said, its the textbook solution which neglects to consider a few factors.
It comes up with as accurate an solution as the fed uses to " manage" the economy.
It's so in accurate it doesn't even qualify as a solution. You would get better results with random numbers on a dart board.
Reactions: Inner10
Another data point: about 40 gal gas for yamaha 2800 inverter generator on an 1100 sf house fdn to paint.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.