Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Check the wattage/amperage of the tool in question and convert to kilowatts and multiple by the hours tools runtime. For example, a 15a 120v saw uses 1800w or 1.8 kilowatts. Electric is sold by the kiloWatt /hour which is 1 kilowatt for 1 hour.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Dustincoc said:
Check the wattage/amperage of the tool in question and convert to kilowatts and multiple by the hours tools runtime. For example, a 15a 120v saw uses 1800w or 1.8 kilowatts. Electric is sold by the kiloWatt /hour which is 1 kilowatt for 1 hour.

So pretty much you're saying "good luck finding out" :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No it doesn't, throw a meter on that saw and get back to me.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
So pretty much you're saying "good luck finding out" :laughing:
What's confusing?

Volts * Amps =Watts

Watts/1000=kilowatts

Fill in the numbers you know and solve for the number you don't have. You only need to do the calculations in this instance if you have amps instead of watts since watts is what matters for your question. More watts = more expensive

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
No it doesn't, throw a meter on that saw and get back to me.
Well, OK. I'm giving the textbook solution which neglects to account for some factors. :)

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Dustincoc said:
What's confusing? Volts * Amps =Watts Watts/1000=kilowatts Fill in the numbers you know and solve for the number you don't have. You only need to do the calculations in this instance if you have amps instead of watts since watts is what matters for your question. More watts = more expensive

How many hours is my worm saw, chop saw, sawzall, heater, lights, drills, ect. going to be running tomorrow? That's what you will never know. So how would you calculate that?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How many hours is my worm saw, chop saw, sawzall, heater, lights, drills, ect. going to be running tomorrow? That's what you will never know. So how would you calculate that?
Or what the draw of the tools will be....

Slap a ted 5000 on your extension cord.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Or what the draw of the tools will be....

Slap a ted 5000 on your extension cord.

Like I said, its the textbook solution which neglects to consider a few factors. I didn't say it would be easy to come up with the numbers. I'm a theatre lighting guy, lights suck the same power all the time.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Like I said, its the textbook solution which neglects to consider a few factors.
It's so in accurate it doesn't even qualify as a solution. You would get better results with random numbers on a dart board.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
It's so in accurate it doesn't even qualify as a solution. You would get better results with random numbers on a dart board.
It comes up with as accurate an solution as the fed uses to " manage" the economy.

Reactions: Inner10

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Another data point: about 40 gal gas for yamaha 2800 inverter generator on an 1100 sf house fdn to paint.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts