Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys use a one man screed for outdoor work? I am just curious if it might knock the air out of the top of the concrete and effect freeze thaw durability. I know the texas style screeds are ok, but I am talking about the high vibrating weed wacker type.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We use the high vibrating screeds made by allen. As far as your question about bringing the air out the top, i would have to disagree with that. The air is entrained in the concrete. You will bring the cement/cream up to the top and more bleed water than you will with a hand rod. I don't see any problem using the magic screeds if that's your worry. For outdoor pours you should be about 6%air.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually use 7% outdoors, but no biggie. I was just curious if anyone has had durability issues, I have seen scaling on some ppls drives where they park from water dipping off the car on consistant spots. Just made me question the durability of the concrete. I just thought about the fact you can knock the air out of the top of a slab with finishing, I was thinking about if that could do so as well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So, have you been using a power screed? Which one in particular?

I have been using a vibrating screed for a while. Specifically, the marshalltown vibrating screed for two man operation on exisiting screed or form on both sides. I have a 12' screed and up to a 24' screed,

I have been considering a vibrating screed for wet screeds for a while. Would appreciate any feedback. I would like to try the Marshalltown R-2 Tech Screed for laser use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts