Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All.
I'm looking to add a power inverter to my trucks.
Need to handle:
1) lap top.
2) 4-6 cordless battery charging. for she driving job to job. Make sure there fully charged
3) occasionally 2-4 x's per year: Skill saw, dewalt emglow compressor, miter saw Full set of tools but no more then 1-2 tools running at a time. Of course I would have the truck idling.

It's been a while since I've done something like this but remember using 1-2 gauge wires from battery to inverter. Also and inline circuit breaker (if I'm wording correctly). Also auto shut off so it leaves enough juice in the battery to start the truck.
Also would I need a 2nd battery? Like a marine gel? or regular?

I have a couple of jobs lined up where power supply is a challenging and wanted to avoid getting a generator.

Thank you in advance for the time.

Yannis
citydecksinc.com

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a 150W inverter in the truck that I can charge two batteries simultaneously with. Sure won't run a saw though...but that's why I have a 2000W inverter gas generator.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
The compressor in particular will take some juice, unless it's a pancake style. A 2000/4000 peak inverter may even have trouble. Partly because of how many amps the battery and wiring can provide. A 700CCA battery is only providing 5000 watts at 7.2 volts, which is below the threshold where the inverter will shut down. A 2hp compressor will draw more than 5000 watts at startup. And the induction motor won't like a modified sine wave inverter very much. Circ, miter and jobsite table saws (all with universal motors) will do ok on that power though.

·
Contractor
4,778 Posts
I have an 08 and have been thinking about a transition for over a year which would allow me to be 100% mobile. A small inverter mounted with a mechanical timer (hoping the DC isn't an issue) so that the chargers don't run on an on if I forget about them. For larger items is a Honda eu2000i inverter.

have you found Sprinter-source.com yet? they have a ncv3 section with lots of info including a recent thread about adding on batteries and an inverter.

·
Contractor
4,778 Posts
I don't know if it will or not, but its rated at 2000W max. (16.7A) and 1600W rated (13.3A)
(fm the website). Would be nice to hear from someone with real world experience w/ a 15A rated air compressor and the eu2000i

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Also a Yamaha ef2800i, will start it only if you turn the compressor on right after turning the generator from eco to full speed, to catch it at no load and full throttle.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I don't know if it will or not, but its rated at 2000W max. (16.7A) and 1600W rated (13.3A)
(fm the website). Would be nice to hear from someone with real world experience w/ a 15A rated air compressor and the eu2000i
I was toying with this idea for a while when I first got my diesel. From my research it appeared that the Honda eu2000i vs a comparable inverter setup would be much cheaper and more versatile while sacrificing a little space on my truck and the simplicity of the inverter. I almost always have power so the compressor issue isn't as important as charging batteries and running a saw.

I found a pretty solid video of a eu2000i and compressor here

It says that you shouldn't run at peak for more than 30 minutes but that seems like a lot unless you're trying to run a framing crew off one.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I couldn't get that to work, even with no extension cord. Maybe like he did with no pressure to start, and at 80 degrees. But no way with pressure and 60 degrees.

Reactions: EthanB

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm also looking into an inverter setup. Seems like it would come in real handy.

I have the Honda 2000i. I tried using it with my rolair 2.5 gallon oiled compressor and it wouldn't start it. The was in the summer too, so it was warm.

I keep meaning to try it on my smaller compressor, to see what it will do.

Dave

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Another issue is idling with a newer diesel is not recommended for longer than 10 min. Unless you have a high idle feature it will cause problems with the egr valve, the idle needs to be about 1500 to keep the engine temps up near 180 deg. At low idle they don't generate enough heat like the older diesels did.

I don't know how long any battery would last with a 3k watt inverter.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Pure sine is super expensive. Modified sine works well with most chargers. Milwaukee I know says so right in their manual. Second on the diesels bad for idling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.