Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old 1920s built on post and beam, then put on foundation at some point. Floor system is 4X8 every 16' and 4X8 every 32". Ship-lap as sub floor. Question, if all is infested, do you have to remove all, or can a pest guy come in and treat. I would prefer putting new joist a couple of inches away from existing and leaving the old stuff in. Web sites say they "bugs" might be gone or dead. I am not willing or quallified to make that call. I don't think a "home inspector" is either. Pest guy is the guy to make the determination but untill that happens, if it happens, any of you experiance any thing simmilar? House 900 sq ft or so will go on market for about $130k I would never buy it!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In my experience, powderpost beetles rarely cause structural damage. If you are attentive and wipe them out in the adult (flying) stage, most of them will be gone in the first year. Provided that you have screens.
Quickfire solution would be tenting, inconvienient, expensive and not very eco-friendly.
As the other sites say, they may be gone. Seen any tiny, fine piles of sawdust lately?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
In my experience, powderpost beetles rarely cause structural damage. If you are attentive and wipe them out in the adult (flying) stage, most of them will be gone in the first year. Provided that you have screens.
Quickfire solution would be tenting, inconvienient, expensive and not very eco-friendly.
As the other sites say, they may be gone. Seen any tiny, fine piles of sawdust lately?

Adult flying stage?

Is that like when your getting some in James Bonds car and she leans on the ejection button.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When it warms up I'm coming to IL! When's deer season?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teetorbilt said:

Didn''t notice, when I was crawling around under house I was just trying not to breath 60 year old hantivirus microbes. (If they are microbes) :cheesygri
Seriously, I did not notice any obvious signs of brand new activity, but I did knock on some of the joist and they sounded quite hollow. Thanks

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hantavirus is just that, a virus. If you are truly concerned about it you should be wearing a respirator, not dust mask, with the proper filters.
Are you certain about the hollow sound? Old , seasoned boards sound different from the wet stuff that you will buy at a box store. Try and find an old carpenter to give you some guidence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts