Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding Red and Purple powder actuated loads for my Ramset. I haven't used it for awhile, but my local supplier says that don't make them for my older .22 caliber model. Is this true? What can I do since the yellow loads aren't setting the pins deep enough?

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
Sounds like yours may be many years old, like mine. I have a fantastic .22 cal gun only problem is NO LOADS! Mine as your might be is a HI V gun which were outlawed, only Low V guns and rounds are available :{:{:{:{{
Only suggestion I have is to go internet and search. I did find some for mine a couple years ago on Ebay, that said guy wanted a ton of money and I decided I didnt use gun much to begin with so I passed.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
According to Ramset, unless you own the model L1600, it looks like you’re out of luck as far as finding the Red 22 cal. loads go.

Other than buying or renting another fastening tool with higher capacity, below is the only other option I know of… SO USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! :innocent:

I personally own a Remington pistol type model that uses gray, brown, green and yellow power loads in that order. If the correct fastener for the material being fastened doesn’t drive completely with the first properly selected size of power load, I will reload with the next LOWER power load, seat the empty barrel over the partially driven fastener, push down straight and firm, then fire the tool to finish set the fastener.

Just so you know, this is not a recommended practice and you won’t find any reference to it in the PATMI or manufactures manuals for good reason, but out of necessity, I have had to do this many times over the last twenty-five or so years.
I will only do this with indirect action, low velocity 22.cal fastening tools incorporating a piston, which sounds like what you have.
I would just remind to ALWAYS wear goggles and hearing protection.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
With my old remington power hammer I would often put the tip back over the nail and give it a second blast, worked fine. If your putting small hangers onto concrete giving it the second shot could cause serious sparging.

Bite the bullet and get a new LV model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts