Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They poured our foundation early last week and when I went to the site yesterday I saw a strange thing, they used cinder block to close in a large opening, it's the front porch area and I'm not sure if this is a problem or if this is no big deal. Can you guys look at the pic below and give me your input, thanks

http://www.geocities.com/eidaj2/Block-Wall.jpg

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Hate to tell ya EID but that looks like $hit. Whoever did it doesn't need to be laying block.

I'm no mason but I can keep up enough to make money at it and guy's I've taught do a better job than that on the first day.

Look around good, he might have stuck his left over burger in the morter.

Bob

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I tell you a horror story.

I bid a block job a few years back. 1400 block walkout. I bid it at 2500 labor only. The homeowner told me that was too much (?) and he'll do it himself.

He called me back a week later asking me to look at something. When I got there I saw he had glued all the block with liquid nails (no morter at all). The top of the wall went up and down 2". Block is very inconsistant in size and needs morter to tapper it out.

I told him that will never hold an oak log cabin and he was in for a thrill. He asked if I would help him try to fix his mistake. I told under one condition. Never use my name when talking about his block wall.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I wouldn't sleep too well knowing that mess was helping to hold my house up.
What's up with all of the little broken pieces jammed in there? Small wonder contractors have a bad rep. This guy is just fueling the fire.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
That just CAN'T be anything permanent. What a god-awful mess. If it were me I'd be so mad I'd consider pulling it all down, taking one of the medium size pieces of block and beating the builder with it to within an inch of death. A better idea though is just calling the local building inspector to take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Somebody got themselves a soup kitchen mason.
The term 'mason' does not belong anywhere in a sentence that identifies the person (?) that put that together. I've seen block thrown out of a truck into a pile that looked better.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Well put, Pipe. Good visual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, I'm not happy with it either but can't really do anything about it unless it doesn't pass code. The contract is signed and there is nothing in there about sloppy work just work that passes code like most contracts. The only good thing is that it will be holding the porch slab which is pretty small and not holding the house up.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
eidaj said:
there is nothing in there about sloppy work just work that passes code
that mess doesn't comply with any code that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I thought the same thing about the lack of mortar.
The link below is what my house will look like, the area in question is the front porch leading to the front door. The builder said, it's going to have gravel and earth supporting it, I'm waiting to hear back if it's going to have that on both sides which is better!

http://geocities.com/eidaj2/Huron-Model.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The builder said they will be filling the inside of the hole 1/2 to 2/3 with dirt and that it shouldn't be a problem at all. He said they do it that way because they pour the foundation and the porch foundation at the same time and don't have the form to tie them in together. My Translation; it's faster/cheaper for us to do it this way..... He also said it's up to code and they've never had any problems. I sent an email to the inspector that is in charge of my house with pics to verify it is code.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
eidaj said:
The builder said, it's going to have gravel and earth supporting it, I'm waiting to hear back if it's going to have that on both sides which is better!
Look - it doesn't matter if it has concrete around it. All work has reasonable standards, that are widely recognized by professionals, by which it is to be performed. That work does not comply with any recognized standard. Putting gravel in it, around it, on top of it, etc. doesn't correct the deficiency. And the idea that something else is going to support it is a joke - particularly earth because I've never seen a home builder place dirt around a foundation in any way that would qualify it as structural backfill. With that mess under your porch I'm going to guess that there is a 80% chance that you will have some kind of subsidence problem near your porch within three years of moving in and a 98% chance within 10 years.
If you're just not the kind of person that is comfortable with making demands of a builder, no matter how reasonable, then don't go back to the site until final walk thru and don't spend anymore energy concerning yourself with this problem. Otherwise, get a local building inspector out there NOW before the builder covers up the evidence.
The builder of my second home didn't insulate an outside wall before he installed a tub surround against it. At the final walk through I questioned him about it and showed him some pictures I'd taken. After chastising me for having entered the premises during construction he insisted that a mistake like that was impossible. I took out my checkbook and told him to tear out the tub - I'd pay for the whole thing if the insulation was there. He reconsidered his position, cut some holes in the wall above the surround and confirmed that it was uninsulated (i also had to insist that they provide a ladder so I could inspect the attic. Guess what - they 'forgot' to insulate that too).
My point - you can get problems corrected if you have the will. Otherwise you better learn to ignore them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you pipeguy, see my post above where I mentioned I contacted the inspector and going from there..........

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I am from the roofing category. I am no expert in this field. I will not act as I am an expert and give out bad advice in others' fields.

Maybe everybody should adhere to this rule.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
AB -I agree that we should not act as experts when we're not and give out bad advice - either in our own fields or in other's fields.

Be careful though not to think that your opinions and ideas shouldn't be shared freely - regardless of your expertise. Sometimes it takes someone from the 'outside' who's looking in to see something that the 'experts' might otherwise overlook.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When I walk on a slab that makes me feel like I'm on a rolling deck I know that's wrong. When I see wall studs installed at odd spacings or on angles I know that's wrong and when I see a pile of rubble pretending to be part of a foundation that is wrong as well. Even if it meets code it is just sloppy workmanship and I wouldn't have it under my home.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts