Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 16x14 3 season room i am converting to a dining room. The room is off the back of house, have a heating issue. Exposed 3 walls, on footings elevated some 2 feet from ground. I am looking to heat with hydronic heat.

The subfloor is level with deck. I need to build it up 1" at least for code. I was looking at Warmboard. But that will be too expensive. Someone suggested I pour a 1" concrete slab over existing subfloor to 1. build up to code and 2. would tubing suspend tubing in the concrete, negating the need for aluminum reflectors. Footings are 8' apart, everything is level(for now) existing sub in good condition.

Is this feasible, or am I asking for trouble here?

Thanks for your input here!

-Jim

·
tile contractor
979 Posts
What about screading deck mud? (the same stuff used in shower pans) Sand is only about 15.00 a yard, and the portland cement might cost you 50.00, if THAT much, for what you need, plus the wire and tar paper. Most likely the best AND cheapest way out. :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
jpullen said:
...pour a 1" concrete slab over existing subfloor [and] suspend tubing in the concrete, negating the need for aluminum reflectors.
I think that embedding tubing in a slab that's only 1" thick is asking for probelms.

·
Registered
269 Posts
JIm have you looked into any of floor heating systems like NU Heat or Warmly yours? We did something nearly identical to what you're describing for a client last year with the Warmly Yours system and the customer absolutely loves it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with Pipe. You will end up with a 1" floating slab which will most likely crack over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts