Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Never heard of Craigslist until I moved to the south. Down here many people use it to seek contractors. Never knew that. Once we shifted from building homes to more of a remodel, additions and service work type of company (due to the market) we started advertising on CL.

I've generated close to $100,000 in work this year from CL alone. :thumbsup:

On the downside, I've also generated about $300,000 in estimates from CL customers. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Seems like everyday there are two or three new threads about some CL posting - everyone jumps on board trashing the CL ad, how the wages are so low and they're just HOs looking for the lowest price, yada, yada...

Isn't that like going to the record store and looking through the discount bins and talking trash about those bums Hall and Oats?

You're looking at CL ads - what do you expect? I just don't understand why this is a continuing topic here. One can only shocked by someone offering minimum wage for so long before the horse is dead and beaten...

CL ads suck. With the exception of our intrepid freemason, no one has anything good to say about CL. Do we really need thread after thread after thread bemoaning the losers who post ads there? Or is it that entertaining and I'm just being a fun Nazi again?

Mac
Mac, I agree with you about the retarded kid analogy. However these ads are for the most part so ridiculous and posted by those with no clue whatsoever about our trades.

Just an idea, we are all human and sometimes need a little humor so what about a section devoted solely to ridiculous and/or funny ads in the "off-topic section". You guys can move them there if someone has a brain [email protected] and posts them to general discussion.

Just an idea.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,928 Posts
Seems a bit like pokin' fun at the retarded kid - too easy of a target.
Thank you! I've been tempted to say that many times, but just didn't have the gonads.

There's a lot of good business done via CL, obviously, or it wouldn't have lasted so long. But the fact that it's free means that any day of the week, it's child's play to find an off the wall posting there. So what? <yawn>

Heck, if you need to scour CL to find ridiculous offers, you must not be a contractor. :laughing:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I bought two identical pieces of recreational equipment (new,$500 each) at pretty good prices on CL. The first was $200... I was in a hurry and paid too much. The second (I had more patience this time), I got for $75.

And we also got 500 grapefruit for free fron CL...... although we DID have to pick them. Took a little over an hour, and we met a really nice lady in the process.

I give away toilets, sinks, faucets and cabinets free on there all the time.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
argh. ya'll are nit pickin' the hell outta this thread.
CT ads cover a HUGE WIDE array of things - from jobs to personal ads to buying and sellin' stuff, yada, yada, yada. My OP was about a narrow sub-genre of CL ads...the goofy-ass "help wanted" ads that people pick out and post here. That's it.

I'm not talkin' about the ads Brickie sees that net him 6 figure jobs.
I'm not talkin' about the ads where you guys buy and sell stuff successfully.

The only ads I was takin' about are the goofy-ass "help wanted" ads that people post here on a daily basis to make fun of. Yes, I said CL ads suck. However, that comment was made AFTER I specified which ads I was referring to. My only reason for this thread was hopefully to slow down the amount of threads started where guys post some dumb-ass CL help wanted ad and other guys pile on saying how dumb the ad is. That's it.

Mac

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
I discovered Craigslist about the same time as this forum.

I quickly learned to shy away from answering ads on Craigslist, its entertaining to read them at times, but they're not worth pursuing. I do have good luck advertising in there. Very few people listing themselves as licensed and insured. Most, but not all people going to CL are on the cheap.

I've had decent results, but I suspect it depends a lot on area. I live in an area close to college towns, and that seems to be the where the calls come from.

On a tangent, guess who else advertises on Craigslist... Service Magic :eek:When I first discovered CL, I would click on the links to see who else was advertising, and I'd get linked back to SM.

Soooo.... If you don't like CL but are using SM... you may be paying $$ for leads that are coming off a free site...

Might be smarter to list yourself on CL.... right? :blink:

I've been kicking CL, SM, and salesman to death since joining this site, guess maybe for New Years, I'll move on to fresh topics... Funny thing is, the same topics come up with new posters, kind of hard to resist the urge.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I have emailed a lot of "insured" guys from my personal email acting like I am in need of a job to be done. Perhaps one out 6 will reply with their actual license information, the next 2 will say they are personally insured through state farm or american family and the next 3 dont even reply because they arent reallw insured.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How is craigslist differnt from any other addvenue. Yellow pages flyers business cards etc will all generate calls and yes most will be shoppers. But it is a way to make contact with a potential customer but in your inital phone call its up to you to vet out the lowballers and dreamers. You do not just jump in your truck and rush out to do an estimate in after 30 seconds of talking on the phone with a new customer.

I usually ask how much they have to spend on a bath remodel, if they say $1 then I will tell them the min amount would be $3 if they think the $3 is too much then you can end it right there. Its a bit more invloved then that but it cheaper to take 20 min on the phone than driving out to a HO to find out that they can only afford beer when your prices are for champaine.

The type of add you use in CL might have something to do with your repsonses too. If you put a simple

"Contrator for hire call 555-5555"

you will get no calls or stupid calls. if you make a add with detials information testimonials PICTURES of your actual work. The response would be better. Some of you guys have done really nice work promote it with CL posting, showing that $50,000 bath you did. Or even better show a $10,000 bath remodel a $20,000 anda $50,000 remodel so people can see the diferance in levels of finish. If the CL postings are still free in your area some areas are pay per post but if its FREE use it to your advantage.

I buy and sell stuff on CL here in Van all the time and I pick up some smoking deals from time to time. And I have goten some reall good jobs out it as well.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts