Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everyday there are two or three new threads about some CL posting - everyone jumps on board trashing the CL ad, how the wages are so low and they're just HOs looking for the lowest price, yada, yada...

Isn't that like going to the record store and looking through the discount bins and talking trash about those bums Hall and Oats?

You're looking at CL ads - what do you expect? I just don't understand why this is a continuing topic here. One can only shocked by someone offering minimum wage for so long before the horse is dead and beaten...

CL ads suck. With the exception of our intrepid freemason, no one has anything good to say about CL. Do we really need thread after thread after thread bemoaning the losers who post ads there? Or is it that entertaining and I'm just being a fun Nazi again?

Mac

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I agree "The ha-ha look at this loser" is getting old. CL is a bit like the old time circus: clowns, freaks, hawkers, and a bunch of people milling about... It is the same thing w/ CL everywhere... people preying off the desperation of others and wanting something for nothing... but in some sense that is basic human nature. It shouldn't be surprising or shocking... and occasionally it is amusing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems like everyday there are two or three new threads about some CL posting - everyone jumps on board trashing the CL ad, how the wages are so low and they're just HOs looking for the lowest price, yada, yada...

Isn't that like going to the record store and looking through the discount bins and talking trash about those bums Hall and Oats?

You're looking at CL ads - what do you expect? I just don't understand why this is a continuing topic here. One can only shocked by someone offering minimum wage for so long before the horse is dead and beaten...

CL ads suck. With the exception of our intrepid freemason, no one has anything good to say about CL. Do we really need thread after thread after thread bemoaning the losers who post ads there? Or is it that entertaining and I'm just being a fun Nazi again?

Mac
You had me at Hall and Oates... :tooth:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I occasionally browse through CL. Hit the tools, musical merchandise, jokes forum, I love the rants and raves and best of...
But as for looking for work??:rolleyes:
Why would I try to appeal to potential customers who are already shopping at the bargain basement?
Good call Mac. Lets leave the CL hacks alone.
Eventually the HO will get tired of dealing with them and call a pro anyway. And if they don't, I don't want to work for them.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

Mac
Well Mac, as I've posted before, CL may suck for someone in Cali, Oregon, Paducah, KY, Littleton, CO, etc., however, I do know for a fact that it works here in the Chicagoland area. People can poo poo CL all they want. There's plenty of us here in the Chicagoland area doing upper fives & low sixes off of CL and laughing all the way to the bank:laughing:

In addition, when advertising on CL, the newspaper, the phonebook, your website, etc., you will get your share of goofs calling. What matters is how you screen them. ;)

·
Licensed, Bonded & Insur
442 Posts
I am always amused by someone that tells me they need to get back on CL sense time are slowing down. It just shows me what caliber that one is, takes the threat away if you are my competitor. So I encourage my competers to keep doing it. all the while I am schedualing a meeting with the contractor you drive by daily. I will never forget when talking to a competor thats a CL. I was new to the area about 2 years, my competor for over 10. He talked about what he was doing yada yada yada. He then expressed how he would like to start biding for, we'll call it smith construction. :eek: 10 sucking years and no contact. To his surprise, I was already working on 2 project with that company and I have only been in the area for 2 years.
So a blast out to my competor KEEP UP WITH THE CRAIGSLIST. Cause im taking all the meat and gravy. leaving you a micro dinner.
yours

mine

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People can poo poo CL all they want. There's plenty of us here in the Chicagoland area doing upper fives & low sixes off of CL and laughing all the way to the bank:laughing:
I actually don't look at CL - no poo pooing here. I was just echoing the overall sentiment here regarding CL...that it sucks. For you and the others who use it and make money from it, that's awesome. I have no problem w/ that at all.

I'm just getting a little tired of the multiple threads that go up here - "look at this loser", "haha what a joke", "can you believe this?" that blast CL ads. Seems a bit like pokin' fun at the retarded kid - too easy of a target.
Obviously some folks see it as entertainment, this is a thread for those of us that don't.

Thought I'd share my frustration and see if others felt the same. I try to do what I can to keep the tone of this forum as one of professionals talking w/ each other about their work. If too many threads degenerate into nothing more than trash talkin', the tone of the forum degenerates too. I'm obviously not talking about all of us lifting our pinkies whist we sip our tea...just tryin' to find some middle ground.

Mac

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I actually don't look at CL - no poo pooing here. I was just echoing the overall sentiment here regarding CL...that it sucks. For you and the others who use it and make money from it, that's awesome. I have no problem w/ that at all.

I'm just getting a little tired of the multiple threads that go up here - "look at this loser", "haha what a joke", "can you believe this?" that blast CL ads. Seems a bit like pokin' fun at the retarded kid - too easy of a target.
Obviously some folks see it as entertainment, this is a thread for those of us that don't.

Mac
Mac,

Since you don't look at CL & I do, let me try and explain what you're seeing with the majority of CL ads posted at CT.

The majority of ads posted here come from the "Labor Gigs" section of your local CL site.

Occasionally, depending on your trade & location, there might be a decent gig but for the most part it's all garbage. What you have in this section is some goof HO/flipper/"contactor" posting an ad looking to hire :

a LBI electrician to rewire their entire house for $10hr cash

a LBI Carpenter to build them an addition for $12hr, etc.,

It gets more bizarre depending on the site but the jist is It's all fantasy world garbage in this section.

I, like many others here, am guilty of posting some of these bizarre CL ads here @ CT. I did it for purely entertainment purposes.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Here's a radical idea:

Don't read the threads about CL ads.

Reactions: ewingpainting

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might've missed the part where I was worried about the tone of the forum.

And, yeah, these days I read a lot of threads I don't particularly want to in an effort to root out troublemakers, spammers, HOs and the occasional godless heathen (just kidding about that last one!) Just part of the new job description...

Mac

·
Contractor
7,326 Posts
Here's a radical idea:

Don't read the threads about CL ads.
That is the method I use to deal with it.

If I see CL in the post title....I move on along, nothing for me there.

I will admit to browsing the for sale adds on there occasionally, I picked up an attachment for my skidsteer loaders for about 1/3 the price of new, and it had only been used a few times. I was a happy excavator! :party:

·
Contractor
7,326 Posts
You might've missed the part where I was worried about the tone of the forum.

Mac
I see your point Mac. I agree with the "tone" issue. The more of these I see....it makes me wonder what the poster's end game is.

This place (CT) is not about finding crappy adds on CL and bringing them to the attention of the rest of the world. Quite frankly that is not what I come here to see, and I doubt many others are interested in that either.

But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello and New to CTalk.

Hello. Any suggestions for using this site to input my experience with Hardie Board or Remodeling for residential projects?

Thanks for any of your valuable advice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts