Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Glen, if you look at the last post it has slots on the bottom to get it off or so it looks
I have mine on back of my trailer chain bound down, and run about 80' hose
Works great, if I got to take it off, I release the chain and pull it off ( and it's not as high as my tailgate in my truck lol)
Then run hoses to pot from compressor

See my pictures, which way is easier
Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, you guys with the mounted pots...Kill and Plaza, you just run a hundred feet or more of blast hose? Sounds like it would get heavy filled with media and hard for the compressor to push it out. Harder to change media mid stream too. How do you handle those things? I have a smaller pot and I pull it in to a home if I need to and I have gone down an embankment to work on an overpass. I just had to drop the lighter weight air line down to the pot.
My pot comes off in seconds. Or I can just stand it up in the rack and blast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys , I just signed up and still reading through all the information.

I acquired two Sandstorm 3.5 cu.ft. 350# closed top blast pots.
One is an '84 model and the other us an '86 model.

They are both in need of new paint but, otherwise look in good condition.

I also have 50' of hose but, haven't checked the size.

I plan on getting both pots set up and working by late Spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Dyer,
I will post some pictures next chance I get.
Looks as though one pot was used for dry sand and the other was used for wet coal slag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone else running a box truck setup? I am really considering a box truck setup. I wonder how the previous guys got the compressor into the box?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a box truck- works great! its a Penske GMC 3500 16' box. I load a super sac (3k lb.) in the center, shovel into buckets, load into the old pk Lindsay 300# machine. and tow my compressor.

hoping to attain a 650# stationary, instead of wheeling blaster outside, running hose, lugging sand, just grab the blast hose helmet and GO!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blast rig finally pulls out of my shop

My blast rig is finally rolling! I have been working hard on it for the last couple weeks and have it mostly complete. I completely tore down and rebuilt the entire system, re-plumbed, rewired, blasted and repainted.
I have blasted with very few issues and I am pleased with the trouble free operation. " KNOWLEDGE GAINED FROM THIS FORUM WAS THE KEY". Here are a few pics.
Thanks, Mike P7090361.jpg

P7090367.jpg

P7090362.jpg

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Very nice!!!!
I like the color scheme on the compressor and pot.
Mines taken a toll running it in the winter up here in Maine. Looking to repaint the whole thing...
Now you got me thinking. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the compliments,
Today I installed a z bracket over my pot axle and bolted the front leg to the deck for easy removal of the pot when needed. I still need to get some system figured out to carry all the hoses and keep them from taking up deck space.
I also just realized from reading the IR brochure that all that empty space in the rear of the compressor is for storage. I don't think I will have a problem filling that area up, and creating a little more room in my jobox.
Other than lettering it up and a few more tweaks I am done working on it an ready to work with it. Have a few nice jobs waiting and can't wait to see what other doors this opens.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good looking set-up, is it a wet blaster like farrow or a dry blaster with the capability of using a win nozzle?

Another question, Does grit go through the hose reel or is the hose just wrapped around the reel and you empty it before blasting?

Last question do you carry your grit in the back of the truck or do you fill the pot before you go to the job and plan there is enough in there to do the job at hand?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blast Off thanks. It's a Geo-blaster GB400. The hose reels are for storage only. They are Cox reels that are for 1.5" and 1" hose with hand crank rewind. They rewind nicely too. I got them new for $200 each so I couldn't refuse the deal. If you look at the picture of the trailer you will see gray buckets with white lids behind the fender, that's where I store my abrasive. They are along both sides of the trailer. 50# in each bucket for a total of 500# plus 200# in the pot if I need it. They are just buckets from Lowes and Gamma Seal lids put on them. The lid unscrews and leaves the top of the bucket virtually the original size opening. I buy 3000# super sacks and load the buckets with a cyclone separator meant for woodworking. I'm still working on that system but my first setup can load a bucket in one minute 10 seconds. All I do is stand there with the hose in the sack and the suction does the rest. I had both rotator cuffs redone last year so I'm trying to eliminate as much lifting as I can. My second setup will be to load the 3000# sacks into 55 gallon drums upstairs and free up some floor space and then gravity feed the buckets on the trailer. I'll use the cyclone separator to load the 55 gallon drums also. If it works out as I have it planned, I will put the sack upstairs with the forklift and suck out the glass into the 55 gallon drums and one drum will feed through the floor to the trailer below and I will fill the buckets in place on the trailer. My goal is to lift the bucket one time to dump into the Geo-blaster. Don't want to handle it more than I have to.

Blast4cash that is close indeed.

·
Motivated Noob
68 Posts
Been making progress on my blasting rig over the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping to have it done by Monday. Here are some pictures after I got the compressor on the back of the truck. Hopefully I'll be posting completed pictures early next week!

Attachments

141 - 160 of 197 Posts