101 - 120 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was thinking of something like this

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Dyer do you find it hard to load your pot with the media on the back of the truck.
I buy mine in super sacks.
It's getting to be a pain getting grit dropped off and picked up again.
I run 50lb bags, I load three in the pot before leaving the house
When I get to the job I put 3 or 6 on the back ( I don't always have the soda pot on) .

I get about 50 mins of blast with the fine glass, when I run out, I switch with my helper, when we get low I have 50 mins to move 3 bags...

It works very well. Plus I only unload as we need it, so I don't have to double handle it.

I have a half ton truck with extra springs, and can load up to 40 bags
My compressor runs out of fuel at 10 hours... 10hour x 3 bags per hour
30 bags total.

Come back the next day and do it over again...
On really big jobs, I have the grit dropped off at the site.
50 lbs backs are a pain, but come in handy on most jobs.

My 2 cents worth, hope it helps

·
Bob
512 Posts
I go into town and get a 3400 lb supersack, usually glass, they place it in the back of my F350. When I get to my shop I lift it up in the air by the sack straps with a 3 ton chain hoist hanging from a shop beam. I then drive the truck out from under the sack and place two large plastic fish totes next to each other under the sack. When I pull the bottom release ripcord on the sack the media flows into the two totes about equal so now I've got the grit split into two roughly 1700 lb loads which are manageable. The totes have feet and can be easily moved around my shop with my pallet jack (I don't have a forklift).

When its time to load up for a job I lift one of the totes with the hoist, back the truck under it and then set it down up against the back of the cab. The totes have tops so grit doesn't blow out as I'm traveling. At the job I just scoop grit out of the tote with several 5 gal buckets filling them about half full which is an easy weight to handle, about 20-25 lbs ea and set them on the tailgate, from there I dump them in the pot as needed.

Sure beats screwing around with sacks which are two heavy for my old bod :laughing:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey sand pot could you post up a pic of your rig fully loaded ready to go.

I run one truck that is 300km away from where I live my second set up consists of my towable compressor and a trailer with my hoses and pot and air prep equipment it is a pain in the ass.

·
Bob
512 Posts
There is a pic of my dual pot rig basically ready to go on pg 4 of this thread. My truck that I normally haul it to jobs with is an open bed diesel 1 ton pickup that carries the media tote along with miscellaneous gear, extra hoses, air system, etc.

The rig consists of a Farrow/Airman 185 slurry system and a Surfacetek multi-media pot. The trailer has water saddle tanks for the Farrow pot and an air cooler for the dry pot (not shown in this photo, mounts on the tongue). If I know the work will strictly be a wet slurry job I'll leave the Surfacetek pot off the trailer.

Also, I usually put blast & air hoses on that big black hook on the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New sandblast set up

photo.JPG

2005 International truck and a 2012 Sullair 375H compressor I can haul 10000 pounds of media (slightly overweight when full) One 600 pound sand pot.

Works well, almost done, just needs a few details and some paint on the sand hopper

·
Todd
848 Posts
I need a grit machine for larger stuff with a 375 and I wanted it but just couldn't fit it in right now...I'm glad it went west and not local..competition is already tough...what made you change up?...now that it's sold...why were you selling and going newer??

·
Registered
10 Posts
My intentions were to sell and go smaller. Once I started to build I changed my mind and went bigger. I figure i will blast for 4 or 5 more years so why go small. This truck is newer and the compresor is brand new. With the newer truck I should be able to sell it quicker than the last one, when I am ready that is.

I just need to get my moisture down some and I will be good to go. I have one moisture separater on the machine but I need to move it closer to the pot, maybe that will help.

·
Todd
848 Posts
I think a after cooler will surely knock out a lot of your issues...I run two water seperators and an after cooler...it is wet here in Florida...all year round.
I'll be down to buy when it's time...I just needed some other more important stuff...
Are pools your biggest scope of work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pools by far are the jobs I do most often. I am getting all kids of calls though. My business for a one man operation is plenty busy. I look forward to days with nothing on the schedule.

I guess i will install a moisture seperater on this unit and see what happens, Sullair has on that come on the units with the aftercooler and filters so I know it works.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bumped for lilbuzzy.:thumbup:

101 - 120 of 197 Posts