Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finally got my enclosed trailer and got everything fixed in it. I still have a few things I need to do but it least its back up and running. I'll post more pics as I make more progress.

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
That big red shelve looks like it would hold a nice wide screen TV.
moblie game bench for the moblie Man Cave...
Nice set up, been looking for years to move into either a trailer or box truck or something, getting tired of loading the equipment into the pickup truck.

·
Bob
512 Posts
It's sitting idle at the moment due to other career opportunities but this is a small but versatile rig I recently put together. A 185 cfm Airman with water saddle tanks for the fixed Farrow wet pot (the blue one) and an easily removable Surface Tek multi-media dry pot (the green one). I can shoot everything but dry ice with this rig, wet or dry. I throw media in the truck, hang hoses on the big front hook and I'm good to go. For sale BTW.

Attachments

·
Todd
848 Posts
Blaster10... That trailer set up is going to over heat your compressor...it might not now but it will after everything gets dusty...mine has to run with both doors open to keep cool in my box truck...no big deal just saying...
Otherwise looks good...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I keep the back doors open and the side door. Also I try to work as far away from the trailer as possible. I'm looking at putting another door on the other side for fueling purposes. It seems to pull air through pretty good. I guess well see. There seems to be a bunch of people with there stuff mounted in trailers and box trucks and dont seem to have that problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If what is not inside the trailer? Not sure I understand what your saying. Lots of people have equipment mounted inside of trailers.

·
Patrick
24 Posts
It's sitting idle at the moment due to other career opportunities but this is a small but versatile rig I recently put together. A 185 cfm Airman with water saddle tanks for the fixed Farrow wet pot (the blue one) and an easily removable Surface Tek multi-media dry pot (the green one). I can shoot everything but dry ice with this rig, wet or dry. I throw media in the truck, hang hoses on the big front hook and I'm good to go. For sale BTW.
Sweet setup! My buddy and I are just starting our biz in the Bremerton area. What advice do you have for a business in the Puget Sound area? You said you have other opportunities, is business slow, is this not a profitable business? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BTW How much for that setup.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Good luck in your adventure...it is rough neck hard work but is super rewarding..

One point I will make on your post...in general I can say that a partnership is a bad idea. BUT...in this business two people is a good thing because of the level of difficulty you have trying to load...unload...blast...load...unload...not to mention filling the pot... Cleaning the job site...it is serious...so two people is a great thing as long as you find your niche in your area and find steady work...

Me personally I have a blaster that works with me...either one of us can do either of the tasks needed to finish jobs

Don't lock onto one industry.

·
2,018 Posts
Todds right, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
With blasting it's a great paycheck but it's a rollercoster ride with how the work comes in, for us in Maine spring and fall are our money makers, in-between times it trickles in...

Plus any new business, experts say, take's an average of three years to take off.

Just a note, it's a big cost to run to make an ave paycheck

·
Patrick
24 Posts
Both of us have decent paying full time jobs, and were looking at starting a business to earn some extra income. With our automotive contacts around here, we thought that soda blasting would be a good idea. We got a good deal on a IR 160 (I believe it is?), and now have been looking at soda pots. But now I'm starting to realize how much the startup costs are gonna run.

Not sure which direction to go right now:

1. Buy a cheapie soda blasting unit do some side work and get a feel for it...

2. Buy a 10K soda blast system and jump right in. I'm not rich so it would take a lil creative finance.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Buy a multi media pot such as a surface tek...or the like...soda is super limited and will leave you stranded for doing the job right..10% of the cars I do need a complete job done in soda...it is not the desired result most auto restoration shops are looking for...shoot star blast or crushed fine glass through a pot that has the ability to shoot soda for those once in a while jobs that require soda...

·
2,018 Posts
I bought a soda blast pot first, I am very happy with it, but quickly bought a new Marco sand blast pot.

Living in Maine there are very few cars without rust, and soda does not remove rust or even surface rust as it claims...

A multi media pot would be a great investment for a first time out business. You can shot glass, walnut or soda .

Glen on here uses one with good feed back on them.

Some jobs I have to load both pots to do a job right.

My 2 cents

61 - 80 of 197 Posts