Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

Is .20 per square foot too much or not enough to charge to clean newly constructed houeses in maryland of 3450 square feet? Thanks

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Hello Everyone

Is .20 per square foot too much or not enough to charge to clean newly constructed houeses in maryland of 3450 square feet? Thanks
There are many types and phases of construction cleaning. What cleaning has gone before? Exactly what are you expected to do? How long will it take you? How much will it cost you in equipment, supplies, and manpower? How busy can you stay?

Reactions: essentials

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a rough final and touch up
There are many types and phases of construction cleaning. What cleaning has gone before? Exactly what are you expected to do? How long will it take you? How much will it cost you in equipment, supplies, and manpower? How busy can you stay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the post costruction at .20 per square foot is for rough and final .Thats good right. And .05 per square foot for the touch up clean, this is not including the garage or basement. is the price good

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Having been in construction for over 35 years, more than two thirds of that as a GC, I'm used to our inflated egos and arrogant attitudes. And of course, the compensatory macho posturing.

But what gives here? This poster is not a contractor... probably won't ever be. So what? Are your cleaners State Certified? Mine never were. Mostly it was a man and his wife with a few hired girls. Why all the friction with helping a guy out who is trying to set himself up to earn a living? He's not competetion... unless you clean houses for a living. Where else is he going to be able to go to get some realistic feedback about this sort of esoteric work? The DIY forum? Let's get real.

Contrary to popular belief we don't qualify as gods because we managed to turn our basic construction trades into money-making professions. We ***** about welfare suckers and hangers-on, but when a person comes here trying to get some perspective on how not to immediately fall on their financial faces doing honest labor (labor we, ourselves, seem to deem "beneath us"), we somehow seem to feel it is our duty to give them all sorts of grief.

A little puzzling to me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Contrary to popular belief we don't qualify as gods because we managed to turn our basic construction trades into money-making professions. We ***** about welfare suckers and hangers-on, but when a person comes here trying to get some perspective on how not to immediately fall on their financial faces doing honest labor (labor we, ourselves, seem to deem "beneath us"), we somehow seem to feel it is our duty to give them all sorts of grief.

A little puzzling to me.
It has NOTHING to do with the profession.

The unwritten rule is DON'T ASK "How Much" within your first_____ posts.
Products different story.

There are estimaters you can buy for labor and PMs to people in your trade.

This is a PUBLICLY veiwed site and homeowners read it and also pose as "contractors" to try and get inside scoop on how to talk down prices.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Did you notice that in the few words I gave him, I did not (nor do most of us ever) tell him his price was high or low? I simply tried to direct his thinking into an avenue whereby he could judge his position and costs for himself and adjust his $ accordingly.

All of us sitting here typing on a forum all week are so swamped with contracts and work that we can't take a few minutes to help new starters out a little? He simply wants to clean houses for us. He deserves to be kicked around a little for not following an arbitrary set of rules?

Sure, our new hires and wannabes need to get used to the initiation. But a guy just wanting to wipe windows and vacuum carpets?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Did you notice that in the few words I gave him, I did not (nor do most of us ever) tell him his price was high or low? I simply tried to direct his thinking into an avenue whereby he could judge his position and costs for himself and adjust his $ accordingly.

All of us sitting here typing on a forum all week are so swamped with contracts and work that we can't take a few minutes to help new starters out a little? He simply wants to clean houses for us. He deserves to be kicked around a little for not following an arbitrary set of rules?

Sure, our new hires and wannabes need to get used to the initiation. But a guy just wanting to wipe windows and vacuum carpets?
I understand your point.

Had the OP went to introductions FIRST and said,
"My name is__________ I'm new to forums and I'm trying to get my feet wet in construction cleaning" and then proceeded to ask questions and such he wouldn't have caught the flack.

There are forum help sections and by reading posts before one joins you can get a feel for the help factor here.

And although you gave him advice without giving a price,HE asked a price.

There are PLENTY of posts where guys discuss prices in a freindly mannor with someone who EXPLAINS why as a "professional" they need help in that.

Guys are ALWAYS talking about take your cost of business(in this case insurance,license,cleaning supllies etc.) add this % to it for your profit etc.

Right wrong or indifferent the severity of the newb bashing will be determined on how the newb presents him/her self.

TOO many of these guys who have been on here WAY more than me have put up with HOs and hacks posting.

They lump all new posters together who don't explain the how and why of their question.

i.e. There was a lady who posted for her husband(1st post) explained the sit. and the help FLOWED.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
To ESSENTIALS I don't do it this way anymore - nor do any experienced contractors I know- but when we first began, most of us learned to "work back" from a finished product in determining estimates.

In other words. Look at the finished house in your mind. Done, complete, ready to collect money for. Take a piece of paper. On one side list every single job and step associated with getting to that finished point. On the other side list how long that step or process took. Start at the FINISH, and "work back" to the moment you would be loading your van for the job. Remember........ there is nothing you do toward this end that does not require time. Time costs you money that you need to be compensated for.

You should fill at least one FULL sheet of paper doing this. Get very detailed and picky.

Now figure every fluid, compound, rag and paper towel you'll use. How much does all this cost? Don't forget the time to go to the store to purchase it.

Remember too that getting setup at the house and reloading the van to go home is time... MONEY that you may be paying someone.

When you have all that, you are only halfway home. You have vehicle costs, equipment costs (repairs too), insurance, license fees, worker's comp, contract figuring and printing. Your business phone. The computer. Part of the house for an office.

Add it all up... miss NOTHING!

Now you need to decide how much money you, yourself, need to get out of that house cleaning...... not forgetting that there are also personal costs to earning a living. You don't get to keep every dollar that is handed to you.

Say you only make $75 a house. Not much to live on is it? So you have to adjust your sights. Can you realistically get yourself 5 houses a day to clean? Can you actually do that much work? 5x75 is $375 a day. Not a good income, but you COULD scrape by. BUT you HAVE to consistantly get 5 houses every single day of the week. This is harder than it sounds. And you HAVE to finish all five, every day.

A lot to think about. But if you have the drive and the guts, it CAN work. Just remember that EVERY house has to pay for itself. Don't get into the habit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. We have all been guilty of this from time to time........ and it has cost us all dearly at times.

Reactions: Bill Z

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello Everyone

Well since I'm in MD I'll chime in .

In Southern Md. .15 per ft WAS the going rate for cleaning a new house . Now the super and punch out guys are doing it . (economy )
That was for 1 trip = 1 clean . ALOT of varibles though . How many windows , does the painter tape off the windows or just overspray all over them ? Cabinet guy vaccum out the cabinets or leave them full of dust ? Overspray all over the tubs and showers or not ? Thats where they spent all their time IMO .

Oh yeah and one company had 2 mid 20 year old hotties as a crew that I know got more money . Everyone loved being on site when they were there . Also had some hispanic crews that were cheaper .

Right now any new work you get that pays the bills in MD is good .

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've seen anywhere from .10 to .25 depending on what was included, size of the house, and how good the crew was. For .20 I would expect you to include windows, furnaces, garages, etc and of course the cleaning would have to be done to my satisfaction, meaning I'm not going to sit there and point out every spot you missed, I will show you a few examples of what I am unhappy with and it is your responsibility to bring your work up to par. If you can't do it on the second try, then it starts to come out of your pay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts