Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
6541 - 6560 of 6591 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Not a recent job but one of my favorite houses I built, 15 yrs ago. Just came on the market.

That is a beautiful looking house, although as I get older, I do not like two stories.
There are a lot of vaulted ceilings in the house.(y)(y)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Gonna be a fun one.
Oh yeah. Big beams, decorative hardware, not too far away. If the weather we've had recently holds, it'll be perfect

I really enjoy pretty much all the projects I take on. I had been so nervous about this one as is completely different than my usual, but now I'm excited to get it going.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,332 Posts
Made some drawers, sanded some drawers, sprayed some drawers. Put my logo on one of them. Ho hum...

Asked for some spice bottles and got them as a gift. Now to keep myself from being bored stiff I'm making a simple hanging spice rack. 36 bottles will be housed in a 4x9 rack. I decided not to make a 36 hole box but instead made a 9 tiered shelf that 4 bottles sit next to each other instead of being nested independently.

Found a pc of Mahogany that would yield enough wood to make the rack. A pc 8x32", 7/8" thick. Cut it into 2 pcs 3 3/8" wide and then cut one of them in half thickness wise and the other into 1/8" thick strips (3 3/8" wide). Ran the thicker strips though the planer to 1/4".

Used my Osborne EB-3 miter gauge to put a 3º angled slot in the 1/4" thick pcs. Of course had to do opposite angles and the miter gauge is very accurate and I got matching angles on the first try.

Got as far as milling the angled slots and cutting the shelves to length and doing a trial fit.

Brown Window Door Wood Rectangle

·
Administrator
64,332 Posts
Got the spice rack glued up. Used a micropoint glue tip to keep the glue contained in the 1/8" slots, worked great! To keep the sides straight I used the tablesaw top as one side of the clamp and a board for the other
Wood Hardwood Gas Wheel Wood stain

I added some backer strips so the bottles can't fall out and then some hanging hooks because that's what I plan on doing. Then sanded that puppy up and 2 coats of clear to finish it up.
Cabinetry Wood Shelving Drawer Rectangle

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gotta love it when the crane shows up at 1:30 for a 6 hour+ hoist. Got the whole house done but a detached garage remains. Going to get some spots ready to receive stacks of sheathing and he'll be back Friday for a couple hours to finish up.

Damn hot, I think we skipped spring and went straight from winter to summer. 2 months ago we were dealing with -25C, today +30C.
Sky Vehicle Crane Composite material Cloud

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
64,332 Posts
Well the 36 jars fit.
Wood Tree Hardwood Table Circle

And this will be it's home. I'll be able to remove most of the spices from a shelf we have dedicated to it and just have the bigger refill jugs left there. And more room for other food stuffs.
Product Shelf Shelving Wood Rectangle

Before
Food storage containers Food storage Shelf Product Food

During
Table Bottle Product Bottle cap Calculator

After
Kitchen appliance Food storage containers Shelving Food storage Kitchen

And the final result
Bottle Wine rack Winery Drinkware Beer

Can't believe I actually used all 36 jars.

And holy crap spice sensory overload transferring all them from the original bottles to the new jars.

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,258 Posts
Well the 36 jars fit.
View attachment 527241

And this will be it's home. I'll be able to remove most of the spices from a shelf we have dedicated to it and just have the bigger refill jugs left there. And more room for other food stuffs.
View attachment 527243

Before
View attachment 527253

During
View attachment 527254

After
View attachment 527256

And the final result
View attachment 527257

Can't believe I actually used all 36 jars.

And holy crap spice sensory overload transferring all them from the original bottles to the new jars.
Your alphabet is upside down.

·
Administrator
64,332 Posts
It'll be fine.

Stay outta my kitchen.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Busy day for me

Went by the kitchen this morning at start getting the first coat on the trim while the tops went in, then down to the pavilion for 3 deliveries that timed out perfectly

Lumberyard with bracing and Simpson hardware. He left and 15 minutes later the stone showed up. He left and about 30 minutes later the timbers showed up.

Got that all tarped, went over some stuff with the homeowner, then back up to the kitchen to finish off painting the trim & beadboard.

Tomorrow I'll get the backsplash in, hopefully get the ceiling second coated as well

Friday grout and plan to finish painting. Electrician Monday, plumber Tuesday, appliances set to be installed the 24th

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,134 Posts
I bought one, filled it with the jars the spices came in at the store, arranged them alphabetically, and memorized where they go. Then my wife moved them all. The thing was supposed to save space in my kitchen but now I have an entire drawer full of never used glass spice jars and label stickers and I can't even find anything.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,134 Posts
Busy day for me

Went by the kitchen this morning at start getting the first coat on the trim while the tops went in, then down to the pavilion for 3 deliveries that timed out perfectly

Lumberyard with bracing and Simpson hardware. He left and 15 minutes later the stone showed up. He left and about 30 minutes later the timbers showed up.

Got that all tarped, went over some stuff with the homeowner, then back up to the kitchen to finish off painting the trim & beadboard.

Tomorrow I'll get the backsplash in, hopefully get the ceiling second coated as well

Friday grout and plan to finish painting. Electrician Monday, plumber Tuesday, appliances set to be installed the 24th

Your jobsite looks like Christmas morning. What did I do to deserve this?
Motor vehicle Wood Scrap Pollution Gas

Reactions: rblakes1

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,258 Posts
I bought one, filled it with the jars the spices came in at the store, arranged them alphabetically, and memorized where they go. Then my wife moved them all. The thing was supposed to save space in my kitchen but now I have an entire drawer full of never used glass spice jars and label stickers and I can't even find anything.
I can't remember the order, but I think that makes you a green shirt... (Or whatever makes you have to clean the toilet after my diarrhea...)

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,134 Posts
Dumping an itty bitty load before the guys went on break and I boogied. Really tight quarters so I didn't want Jr driving the machine and ripping the corner board off the house lol.

Reactions: Pompanosix and META
6541 - 6560 of 6591 Posts