Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
5141 - 5160 of 5239 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,824 Posts
It’s kinda weird. It looks like a steel purlin that was put in for an unknown reason. The only thing extra since original framing is those vertically oriented doubles 2xs that the steel purlin angle brackets are lagged into, which in turn provide an attachment point for the 2x4s that are in turn strapped for drywall. If thats only there to hold up drywall that would be crazy. The verticals could have simply been anchored to the original purlin which is only inches away.

It’s not like I’m trying to remove it, not my scope, I was just curious what you more experienced guys thought.
Not sure but it's obviously there for a reason, when you trace the load path what does it look like?

·
1 on 2
Mason
1,057 Posts
And some people's work needs to be fixed sometimes.
Some people have a need to "fix" other people's work. Just cause it lasted 200 years that way, doesn't mean it'll last another 200. Better fix it.

Hard to tell from the phone pics.
Man we must of worked on different houses lol, lots of stuff is framed crazy for no reason imo.

That 3 story condo I remodeled recently had not point loads stacked in the whole house. Had to drive 18 drill stem into lake bed to bedrock More than 20 ft deep and andd steel through to carry the tile roof the the lake bed

·
Registered
Remodel
32,278 Posts
There’s a purlin six inches above it. So if the dormer is original, and another purlin wasn’t removed to put it in, why the steel?
Most likely this area had started to sag, and the steel is what would fit and be string enough. It looks like it's set in pockets on the 2 ends.

The bunches of 2X4s under the other beam form a pocket for the beam. It's possible that beam was installed or reinstalled in that location relatively recently.

Details on this type of framing from that time period can vary, since different areas were influenced by what part of Europe / whatever the locals came from.

It's a little difficult telling what's going on.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,658 Posts
Yeah, there's no doubt that people do a lot of unnecessary stuff at times but there's no way that someone's going to be that stupid to go to the expense and hassle of doing something like that without some sort of logic behind it. On the other hand it is the construction business, last refuge of the iconoclast......

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,620 Posts
Back down in RI to continue with the kitchen.

Put in the end of the run cabinet and the window seat this morning.
Property Cabinetry Wood Drawer Interior design

And after that we worked on the island. It has 4 cabinets and a space for refrigerator drawers and a spot for benches. We got the 4 cabinets scribed to the floor. The cabinets near the existing run were built at 35 1/2" tall and the one on the opposite were built at 36 1/2" tall because of the drop in the floor. Big time scribing. The cabinets near the wall cabinets are at the same height by laser. Fun is.

Cabinetry Property Plant Countertop Wood

Furniture Table Cabinetry Shelf Wood

Tomorrow we get to do the end panels and open spaces for the fridge and seating. Then I have to trim a window that should be very interesting.

General Contractor / Truck Parts Store
90 Posts
Tenant Improvement project finished in Racho Palos Verdes, CA. We hired a photographer to do a photoshoot. Does anyone have a photographer referral in Los Angeles that I can use in the future? Might want to try someone else 🙏
Cabinetry Countertop Tap Furniture Property

Furniture Building Wood Chair Interior design

Mirror Tap Bathroom cabinet Plumbing fixture Cabinetry

Bathroom cabinet Tap Sink Cabinetry Mirror

Bathtub Plumbing fixture Property Shower head Tap

Table Building Chair Wood Lighting

Picture frame Furniture Property Chair Building

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts
I'm aware my pictures suck 😆, money of the girls will take real pics when the jobs are done, I realized recently we have no finished pictures of the last 10 houses we built, including 2021s parade home. We don't market so it slips through the cracks but we are sending someone back to get pics and I'll share here

This is a custom on Buchanan, and is the second to last house we will build cabinets for in the near future I think. This house was a lot in house, foundation, framing, cornice, trim and cabinets and even the shingles.

The beams are Radiata pine, will pre treat and stain dual color, dark stain, sand the dark off and add light stain, then lacquer

The trim and crown is three step, closets are adjustable with built in drawers. Simple house but a lot of nice features for its price point

2022 is going to be full tilt with most things pre ordered well in advance and one of our biggest bottle necks is cabinets, so out of respect for the lead carpenter who builds the cabinets I met with him and told him the situation and said I thought we'd better off as a whole using his resources elsewhere, and maybe 2022 would be a no cabinet year. It was really more of a gesture as I knew he wouldn't tell me no or disagree but I felt like he is owed that much.

Our cabinet sub was doing maybe 20% of our work so he is stoked lol
Building Door Fixture Wood House

Wood Rectangle House Flooring Beam

Wood Floor Wall Living room Flooring

Building Wood House Door Interior design

Window Fixture Wood Building Floor

Building Fixture Wood Door Wall

Property Fixture Shipping box Wood Interior design

Property Cabinetry Wood Floor Interior design

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,620 Posts
Day two and finishing the island went well. Although I found out I made 2 mistakes. Neither of them critical. The large stretcher that is the back of the sitting area was suppose to be 36 1/2" tall and I made it about 1" too short. Because of the scribing involved it was about 3/8" short from being flush with the tops of the cabinets. Also in my rendering I made the return stiles on the end panels 2" wide with a corner bead. It was suppose to be 2" plus the corner bead which makes it 2 7/16" wide. So that made the refrigerator space 23 9/16" wide instead of 24". So we moved the stretcher over 7/16" to get the opening to 24". The space on the stretcher will be covered with some kind of decorative boards so it doesn't even matter.
Window Cabinetry Fixture Wood Countertop

Cabinetry Countertop Kitchen Wood Flooring

Cabinetry Furniture Countertop Wood Drawer

Cabinetry Wood Kitchen Wood stain Flooring

Pull out trash in the island. Slides on Movento slides with the push to open hardware.
Wood Flooring Wood stain Floor Cabinetry

Not in the island but on the other run. I finally get to see a spice/oil rack I made full up.
Shelf Bottle Cabinetry Shelving Kitchen appliance

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,620 Posts
Also trimmed out a window in the kitchen. Pain in the butt. No similar measurements, windows at slight angles, haunched miters for the jamb stops, heavily scribed top header to the ceiling, outlets too close to the windows to use the proper sized trim. You know, normal 16th century house crap.

Kitchen sink Sink Tap Window Building

Window Fixture Wood Building Interior design

General Contractor / Truck Parts Store
90 Posts
I'm aware my pictures suck 😆, money of the girls will take real pics when the jobs are done, I realized recently we have no finished pictures of the last 10 houses we built, including 2021s parade home. We don't market so it slips through the cracks but we are sending someone back to get pics and I'll share here

This is a custom on Buchanan, and is the second to last house we will build cabinets for in the near future I think. This house was a lot in house, foundation, framing, cornice, trim and cabinets and even the shingles.

The beams are Radiata pine, will pre treat and stain dual color, dark stain, sand the dark off and add light stain, then lacquer

The trim and crown is three step, closets are adjustable with built in drawers. Simple house but a lot of nice features for its price point

2022 is going to be full tilt with most things pre ordered well in advance and one of our biggest bottle necks is cabinets, so out of respect for the lead carpenter who builds the cabinets I met with him and told him the situation and said I thought we'd better off as a whole using his resources elsewhere, and maybe 2022 would be a no cabinet year. It was really more of a gesture as I knew he wouldn't tell me no or disagree but I felt like he is owed that much.

Our cabinet sub was doing maybe 20% of our work so he is stoked lol
View attachment 518871
View attachment 518872
View attachment 518868
View attachment 518870
View attachment 518869
View attachment 518866
View attachment 518867
View attachment 518865
The living room feels so relaxed. I preferred to have less stuff in the house and look empty and open 😂

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is that you my friend? I think you from the bottom of my heart for your selfless service. Hat tip.

Mike.
___
Late seeing this my dude but yeah we had some Air Force SSGT photographers come out mid rotation and take pics that someone later sent me from Getty’s files and happened to sure enough be my Battalion and most my Company for whatever reason. Hence the clean shaven faces per our prior memo to do so. Miss those days every day being with the boys doing the Lords work haha.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Finishing up current fabrication.

Prep kitchen
Casita kitchen
Main level guest bath
Lower level guest bath
Lower level "bar"
Lower level guest bath 2
Main kitchen
Silver/cutlery drawer, utinsel pullout