Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
4921 - 4940 of 5202 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,854 Posts
Graspable rail has to be continuous past the nosing of the last tread and first tread. Which has to return into itself or terminate into a wall or newel post.

Also the balusters on handrails can't be more than 4-3/8" apart.

Mike.
___
My understanding is the balusters need to be no more than 4” spacing.

The 4 3/8” is for the “triangle” area formed when the balusters land on a step. The area between the tread and riser, with the balusters as the third side.

·
Super Moderator
44,633 Posts
My understanding is the balusters need to be no more than 4” spacing.

The 4 3/8” is for the “triangle” area formed when the balusters land on a step. The area between the tread and riser, with the balusters as the third side.
6" for the triangle 4-3/8" for handrail balusters and 4" for guardrails.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Speaking of flagrant code violations, here's a new View attachment 517441 million-and-a-half 3-story in Houston that I toured yesterday with no duplex receptacles on the islands.
The island without the sink was probably defined as a table, the one witrh the sink may have a Mockett under the basket with the blue items in it. The recepticale may also be in the waterfall on the cabinet side.

The crossbuck island in the foreground was defined by the builder as a table, the other island has 2 recepicatles.

The walnut island has one Mocket to the left of the sink as viewed, the window countertop has 4 Mocketts 2 of which you can see raised.

In the Chicagoland area all of the islands pictured would have needed 4 receptacles.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,795 Posts
Actually, the extension cord issue is the basis for the code requirement. Imagine a 4-year-old clotheslining a crockpot full of hot chili down her dress from an extension cord crossing an aisle. Some code requirements may seem stupid; this ain't one of 'em.
Agreed, I was doing my funny man routine.

·
Super Moderator
29,975 Posts
Inspector was cool 100%, terminates into a newel it doesn't need to return to the wall or past the first tread, if he had balked I was going to ask how all of the stairs we and many others have built can go past and wrap around the newel - I couldn't find anything to say terminating into newel was improper. If he had bitched we could done a volute rail but not what she wants.

Junior, the 4th year carpenter said Tom our super laid it out with him, so I felt better about that, we don't need carpenters who aren't leads doing stairs

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Stairs Automotive tire
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Stairs Flooring
Jeans Blue Wood Floor Hardwood

4921 - 4940 of 5202 Posts