Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
4901 - 4920 of 5205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
The inspector I use in the county is pretty egregious- I don't use them on remodels 😆

In Texas if it's not in the city no inspections so I hire a third party, always have.

If the balusters are off they'd definitely fail, be our first time on that but chit happens that's why we have CT board and inspectors 😆

I need to look at the newels location on top - if it's past first tread I think it passes with any municipality here, if not no, and I'll tear it out.

The bottom newel termination I think passes outright, in my experience the bottom and top pass if it crosses plain- handrails are expected to return to the wall, I don't think they'd expect to see a gaurd rail return.

Either way it's a job I've spent very little time on, if anything it's a good reminder to check layouts even on something simple. The supers good but fairly green

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Here it would depend on the inspector, once I watched one measure every single step and riser inside and out.
That's two of three I use. One will drop the green card as he drives by.... I like him for remodels 😆

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,689 Posts
I like the Floating Conc. Pad 24sq.X 8" thick part. The day that floats :oops:
Most all the old homes here sit on those and they are called Tofu blocks here.

·
Super Moderator
44,668 Posts
Why such short spans? 5’ spacing for a lot of those
I have a meeting with the HO tomorrow. They aren't that big so short of re-engineering everything I think we'll just go with what we have.

This is what happens when the HO gets the engineer before consulting with me first. I would've had larger framing and less piers.

Mike.
___

4901 - 4920 of 5205 Posts