·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
Best of parade or best at cooking cookies and putting beer on ice? Lol

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
That's an old trick that realtors use on house warmings. Keep the cookies fresh baked so they essence lingers.

·
Always Learning
8,744 Posts
They all have crane trucks here so with out the crane truck they be pounding rocks.
You're not setting 10k lbs of trusses on wall plates here... 52' long. Skilled driver with our truss company!

Spent the day sorting and prepping girders! We have a 5ply 50' girder on this one!

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
Beer and wine too

7 parades I'm an old pro. Key is to cook the cookies in the house within an hour of them arriving so they're still kind of warm and the spell is in the air. Lol. We got doubly lucky being the last house on the route and guessing correctly that we would be, they left 2 beers and an 1/8 of wine 😆 3 cookies.
Vanilla on the lightbulbs, turn the lights on before you leave.

Next year I’ll ask the builder if he wants me to bake some cookies there, he claims my cookies are better than my cabinets….

The builder swept his category.

Here they don’t have a Best of Parade (Peoples choice here is one per price category). I think it would be a great category. Let the people vote on what home they think was best over all the price ranges. I’m certain that a builder who builds for the masses could win as people can see themselves living there. The 5-7 million range is out of most people price range.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts

Next year I’ll ask the builder if he wants me to bake some cookies there, he claims my cookies are better than my cabinets….

Here they don’t have a Best of Parade (Peoples choice here is one per price category). I think it would be a great category. Let the people vote on what home they think was best over all the price ranges. I’m certain that a builder who builds for the masses could win as people can see themselves living there. The 5-7 million range is out of most people price range.

Tom
A good friend and GC won People's choice with a 700k house over a 6 mil a few years ago. Land slide

Sometimes it's the biggest/baddest.

Glad yall swept dude 👍

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
The small kitchen is installed. A small challenge. On the window wall the slope of the floor from the back to the toekick of the cabinet was 5/8". From one end of the "L" to the other dropped about 3/8". The window wall was pretty straight until the window and then moved back about 1/2". That gave me a false reading for the measurement on the stove wall. Made it seem 1/2" longer than it really was. Good thing I had a fair amount to scribe off that tiny cabinet to the right of the stove.

The upper cabinets should have been simple. We put up a cleat and screwed the cabinets together along with a triangle in the back between them to force them to stay 90º. Lifted it up onto the cleats and put two lasers on them and wow. All kinds of out of plumb. It shouldn't even be possible but there it was. Both walls leaned back about 3/8" and the corner was about 92º. Scribing and shimming and lifting it into place 3 times did the trick. Oh ya, one stud was at a big angle and that was one of the reasons it had to be taken down so we could find where the damn stud was. Leaned at least 1 1/2", no wonder we couldn't find it.

Upper cabinets are just under 4' tall.

Property Window Fixture Cabinetry Wood

·
Registered
1 Posts

Tom
Yes, Tom's cookies are real tasty! I like the snickerdoodles he makes the best.

Couldn't of done it without great vendors, subs and trades like Tom!!
http://instagr.am/p/CUv-jlws98M/

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
Holy crap, I responded to All About Homes Instagram post….(Robert wont let me go near the company account, he knows I’d screw it up:D)

Tom

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
The house on Insta is Bad ass, much respect. Glad someone's building houses worthy of Tom's work.

Now we just need a 5 mil builder building houses in Connecticut for Leo

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,514 Posts
You're not setting 10k lbs of trusses on wall plates here... 52' long.
Sure we do,, the crane truck pulls up 5 at a time and lowers them on the plate spread out to the right spots. We spread them from there. Yup they are heavy and I send little Gary up to the ridge to nail the block line. I push it up and he nails the ridge block.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Rather just do smaller jobs. Large kitchens and whole house cabinets is a hell of a lot of work for a one man band.

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
Rather just do smaller jobs. Large kitchens and whole house cabinets is a hell of a lot of work for a one man band.
That’s how I was (for 30 years), then I got thrown into this situation. The first two homes I did when I first got here (not what I was supposed to be doing, it was to be just one house and done) I had 90% done by the time I hired my first employee and found a shop. Both of these homes were the builders Parade homes, that year we won kitchens and masters for our casework.

I could not do this without the crew I have. I just hired my first female employee, I hope to train her to be a finisher.

I was contemplating retirement from this and doing something else after I did the first two homes. Now my goal is to build something for the crew to have for themselves when I do walk away.

I’m looking for a new space, took the wife to see it as she would be buying it, company would lease it back. She’s terrified by the cost of the building. The number would terrify 99% here.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
29,180 Posts
That’s how I was (for 30 years), then I got thrown into this situation. The first two homes I did when I first got here (not what I was supposed to be doing, it was to be just one house and done) I had 90% done by the time I hired my first employee and found a shop. Both of these homes were the builders Parade homes, that year we won kitchens and masters for our casework.

I could not do this without the crew I have. I just hired my first female employee, I hope to train her to be a finisher.

I was contemplating retirement from this and doing something else after I did the first two homes. Now my goal is to build something for the crew to have for themselves when I do waqlk away.

I’m looking for a new space, took the wife to see it as she would be buying it, company would lease it back. She’s terrified by the cost of the building. The number would terrify 99% here.

Tom
That's the way to fo it. Buy it through a holdings LLC and rent back

That's awesome what you're setting up 👍 👌

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
The small kitchen is installed. A small challenge. On the window wall the slope of the floor from the back to the toekick of the cabinet was 5/8". From one end of the "L" to the other dropped about 3/8". The window wall was pretty straight until the window and then moved back about 1/2". That gave me a false reading for the measurement on the stove wall. Made it seem 1/2" longer than it really was. Good thing I had a fair amount to scribe off that tiny cabinet to the right of the stove.

The upper cabinets should have been simple. We put up a cleat and screwed the cabinets together along with a triangle in the back between them to force them to stay 90º. Lifted it up onto the cleats and put two lasers on them and wow. All kinds of out of plumb. It shouldn't even be possible but there it was. Both walls leaned back about 3/8" and the corner was about 92º. Scribing and shimming and lifting it into place 3 times did the trick. Oh ya, one stud was at a big angle and that was one of the reasons it had to be taken down so we could find where the damn stud was. Leaned at least 1 1/2", no wonder we couldn't find it.

Upper cabinets are just under 4' tall.

View attachment 517181
I think code says you need a minimum of 18" space between the lower and upper cabinet.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
That's the way to fo it. Buy it through a holdings LLC and rent back

That's awesome what you're setting up 👍 👌
I mentioned, in anther thread, my brother sold his vet clinic and was retiring. His last day was August 31.

I figured he’d wait until early next year to find something to do, besides his 401(c)3 pet rescue clinic.

Well…..he didn’t make it a month (bored already). His wife still owns the building his previous clinic is in, she collects the rent. Monday she (they) bought another building 25 miles south of them. His new clinic will be open in about 8 weeks…..

My family is pretty good at this’d business stuff.

Tom

4841 - 4860 of 4938 Posts