Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
4581 - 4600 of 4739 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
First house I've built with a car lift in a garage for me, I just bid one for late 2022 that has 3, and I have one in design with one. Everything comes in fads.

I did build a shop that had a mechanics pit and lift but it was for farm equipment
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Those things always made me feel like you're setting yourself up for the most expensive oops, but I guess that's the thinking of somebody who doesn't need an expensive car lifted over another car.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Another Spice/Oil rack pullout for a small cabinet.
Wood Rectangle Engineering Gas Camera

The secret sauce for the Blum slides.
Wood Shelving Wood stain Drawer Hardwood

·
Registered
General Construction
35 Posts
Set the debarker inbed today so we can finish bracing it tomorrow. We’ll fly the chipper inbed in tomorrow. That one “should” go quicker since it only calls for 4 hollow corner supports with holes unlike this one that called for a whole pile of verticals lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Made a "shelf" for an client from a long way back. Built a kitchen for her 20 years ago when I was working for a builder.

She wanted a stained top and I was going to make it out of maple. And I asked her if she wanted it in curly Maple. Showed her a few boards I had. I hate this stuff because I order normal Maple and I get this... And I can't paint it because the curl shows through. She was game.

She picked Minwax Red Oak for the color and I had it matched in MLC WoodSong II.
I did my standard of stain it, sand it back 80% so most of the curl stain stays but the field loses most of the stain and then I restain it again so the curl gets double stained. Shelf is 18" x 47"

View attachment 515930

Found one stud where it would look good on the shelf and had to use the Snap Toggles on the bracker near the corner.

Here it is installed. She picked out the brackets and they go nice with the area the shelf is in.
View attachment 515931

I was half way home and I get a text from her. I'm like, damn - what did I forget?

Nothing, she had set it up already and the dog is happy again. There used to be a table that Jake would lay under. She gave it to her sister and Jake has been upset about it since, that was his table.

View attachment 515933

Happy home owner, happy dog. What else could you ask for?
This is awesome! Work and story hand in hand. Respect bro.

·
Contractor
7,671 Posts
Nice work, Tom. 👍

How do you get the slope? Just trowel by eye?
Screed board, 36" to the left, 24" to the right.
my finishers did the hard part, I just got them on the right track. 2-1/4" drop to the off center.
I had doubts as we were finishing that maybe it should be deeper, but it turned out ok. I like subtle.
Wood Tints and shades Parallel Symmetry Concrete

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,502 Posts
Screed board, 36" to the left, 24" to the right.
my finishers did the hard part, I just got them on the right track. 2-1/4" drop to the off center.
I had doubts as we were finishing that maybe it should be deeper, but it turned out ok. I like subtle.
View attachment 516054
Great idea. 👍👍

I have one coming up just like it. I think it’ll be about 30-32” per side. Linear drain in the middle. 36 feet long.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Looks good.

I know it's the camera giving it the wide on top look, but I wonder how that would work in real life.

Might make you feel like you had more elbow room.

Of course, then just make the whole thing wide.

Meh, just a very relaxed carpenter doing some pointless thinking tonight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Looks good.

I know it's the camera giving it the wide on top look, but I wonder how that would work in real life.

Might make you feel like you had more elbow room.

Of course, then just make the whole thing wide.

Meh, just a very relaxed carpenter doing some pointless thinking tonight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That would be the same idea as the curved shower rods. They really help with a tub feeling bigger to shower in so the concept works.

·
Registered
Carpentry, remodeling
31 Posts
Took a week off and finally finished the pantry for my own ongoing remodel.

Edge glued pine “U” shape 1-piece shelves, painted white for upper shelves. Stained counter-level shelf. Melamine adjustable down below.

COB Led strips in aluminum channels dado-ed into the casing. Wires run through door frame gaps, wired to the pantry dimmer switch.

My wife posted it on our Social media accounts and I’ve already got 2 people wanting bids for their own. So I guess this wasn’t completely a personal-only project.

4581 - 4600 of 4739 Posts