Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
4561 - 4580 of 4739 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Bro, you package that tree house with a massage coupon and my wife will be at your door by sun up.

You even understand what a travel blog goldmine you're sitting on here?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Bro, you package that tree house with a massage coupon and my wife will be at your door by sun up.

You even understand what a travel blog goldmine you're sitting on here?

We prefer to give married couples free access to the treehouse.

It would be profitable to rent it. Just have to figure out how to not attract the wrong crowd.

Don’t want to get sued. Wedding cakes and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Made a "shelf" for an client from a long way back. Built a kitchen for her 20 years ago when I was working for a builder.

She wanted a stained top and I was going to make it out of maple. And I asked her if she wanted it in curly Maple. Showed her a few boards I had. I hate this stuff because I order normal Maple and I get this... And I can't paint it because the curl shows through. She was game.

She picked Minwax Red Oak for the color and I had it matched in MLC WoodSong II.
I did my standard of stain it, sand it back 80% so most of the curl stain stays but the field loses most of the stain and then I restain it again so the curl gets double stained. Shelf is 18" x 47"

Found one stud where it would look good on the shelf and had to use the Snap Toggles on the bracker near the corner.

Here it is installed. She picked out the brackets and they go nice with the area the shelf is in.

I was half way home and I get a text from her. I'm like, damn - what did I forget?

Nothing, she had set it up already and the dog is happy again. There used to be a table that Jake would lay under. She gave it to her sister and Jake has been upset about it since, that was his table.

Happy home owner, happy dog. What else could you ask for?

·
12,103 Posts
Shelf is cool. Looks very straight and well stained.

Let's talk about that bracket though. Where'd you get that thing?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
She picked it out. They don't really have a bracket for an 18" wide shelf.

·
12,103 Posts
Well, they do, but it's gross looking.

I've fought this battle before. Everything my wife an I collaborate on ends with us having heated arguments about brackets that end in her frustrated and me having to do way to much work to modify an existing bracket that I deem structurally sound enough for the task to fit her definition of attractive enough for retail consumption. Lots of spray paint and swearing is usually involved.

Related: I have a basement full of dozens upon dozens of rejected brackets that could not be returned because they were already spray painted. This happens a lot.

·
12,103 Posts
Since it's unlikely to come up again, shout out to the company I consider to be the best in the game for Made in USA heavy duty brackets that aren't stupid to use.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Well those are all ugly.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
I don't think I have to worry about a happy customer.

Product Font Line Screenshot Flooring

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Try the flea markets.
Well, they do, but it's gross looking.

I've fought this battle before. Everything my wife an I collaborate on ends with us having heated arguments about brackets that end in her frustrated and me having to do way to much work to modify an existing bracket that I deem structurally sound enough for the task to fit her definition of attractive enough for retail consumption. Lots of spray paint and swearing is usually involved.

Related: I have a basement full of dozens upon dozens of rejected brackets that could not be returned because they were already spray painted. This happens a lot.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Sheesh. That's spendy. Awesome looking, but spendy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4561 - 4580 of 4739 Posts