Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
4041 - 4060 of 7303 Posts

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,921 Posts
"This kind of client we are never through working for, she always has something going. After her architects remodel (the old house in Lampasas last year), her other personal home and relatives stuff - if she called and says her toilet handle jiggles or her gutters are full at her house in Houston and doesn't trust anyone ill be getting in 8 hrs on the road that day"

You sir have the type of client we all dream about. I had one on the commercial side, "just do it and send me the bill". He (had more money than I could ever imagine) knew I understood if I "screwed him" I would be screwing myself. A great mutual understanding and respect. He retired a few years ago and moved to a 12,000 sq ft mansion on St Thomas. Too far for me to travel.
I'm sorry for your loss...

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
Waiting on pro photos of this house. Bad ass kitchen. I didn't think I'd like it, and it's not our style but it is definitely a unique kitchen.

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
You know this gig isn't always sexy, and it's not always fun, sometimes it's terrible. But I still love it. In a twisted way, even the ****ed up parts.

Got my new site plan from the archy, trashed it as it was chit placement, spent this evening marking a boat dock, Tiki Bar building, and a 5600 sq ft house on a pretty tight channel lot. After marking I set a half ass batter board and strings and turned the house. Sat on the tool box in my truck and looked over the site, thought about site access, order of operations, well is 5 months out so that determines a lot with the septic etc....

Tweaked the house one more time.

Sat on a rock and watched the house grow out of the ground, picked which subs I'd use, made note to check so and so's schedule etc... Placed the framing package on the lot, broke in pieces, saw myself squaring the foundation, marking plates with the lead carpenter, one guy starting the cut list and one nailing cripples and headers ect... together while my assistant separated ABC stacks of 2x6 10s for walls etc...

Going to be a bad ass house. Going to enjoy running the build, it's been nice to knock some dust off and I'm down 11 lbs in 2 weeks getting out and about 😆

50 bucks says the owner checks off on my moving the house boat dock and tiki bar and thanks me for doing so and that my will enjoy dropping that change off that change off with triangulated measurements to each corner to the architect with a wink and a smirk and tell him to get that chit fixed ASAP. Lol

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
I’m always amazed when this step isn’t taken on custom houses. Don’t forget to think about the sun path in summer and winter. One of the joys of the job is tweaking things that make a house better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet he used Google Earth. Lazy MF lol

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,758 Posts
You know this gig isn't always sexy, and it's not always fun, sometimes it's terrible. But I still love it. In a twisted way, even the ****ed up parts.

Got my new site plan from the archy, trashed it as it was chit placement, spent this evening marking a boat dock, Tiki Bar building, and a 5600 sq ft house on a pretty tight channel lot. After marking I set a half ass batter board and strings and turned the house. Sat on the tool box in my truck and looked over the site, thought about site access, order of operations, well is 5 months out so that determines a lot with the septic etc....

Sat on a rock and watched the house grow out of the ground, picked which subs I'd use, made note to check so and so's schedule etc... Placed the framing package on the lot, broke in pieces, saw myself squaring the foundation, marking plates with the lead carpenter, one guy starting the cut list and one nailing cripples and headers ect... together while my assistant separated ABC stacks of 2x6 10s for walls etc...

Going to be a bad ass house. Going to enjoy running the build, it's been nice to knock some dust off and I'm down 11 lbs in 2 weeks getting out and about 😆

50 bucks says the owner checks off on my moving the house boat dock and tiki bar and thanks me for doing so and that my will enjoy dropping that change off that change off with triangulated measurements to each corner to the architect with a wink and a smirk and tell him to get that chit fixed ASAP. Lol
View attachment 513655 View attachment 513656
Thank for sharing your process. I never would’ve guessed a builder these days would bother with something like that. I’m sure it’ll pay off.

Very cool lot btw.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
"This kind of client we are never through working for, she always has something going. After her architects remodel (the old house in Lampasas last year), her other personal home and relatives stuff - if she called and says her toilet handle jiggles or her gutters are full at her house in Houston and doesn't trust anyone ill be getting in 8 hrs on the road that day"

You sir have the type of client we all dream. about. I had one on the commercial side, "just do it and send me the bill". He (had more money than I could ever imagine) knew I understood if I "screwed him" I would be screwing myself. A great mutual understanding and respect. He retired a few years ago and moved to a 12,000 sq ft mansion on St Thomas. Too far for me to travel.
She literally hasn't asked what 1 thing was going to cost on his job to my knowledge.

First thing we did for her was a full remodel/add two bathrooms in the middle of the house etc... - about 250k 7 years ago. She didn't even want an estimate, but I gave her one anyway lol. Since then anything from changing windows, driveway, roof replacement, repaint etc on her old house and never asked a price.

·
Artist and not a curator
17,659 Posts
Waiting on pro photos of this house. Bad ass kitchen. I didn't think I'd like it, and it's not our style but it is definitely a unique kitchen.
View attachment 513654
View attachment 513653
Work looks great.

That table though... I can't, I just can't... Did she have that built or buy it and ask for something to be built around it?

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
Work looks great.

That table though... I can't, I just can't... Did she have that built or buy it and ask for something to be built around it?
We built it, I hear you on choice. I would of put a porcelain or granite top like the confrence table and coffee nook at my office

·
Artist and not a curator
17,659 Posts

View attachment 513655 View attachment 513656
Is that Llano river or Pendernales? Gorgeous property, bet that some them back some green backs.

·
Artist and not a curator
17,659 Posts
We built it, I hear you on choice. I would of put a porcelain or granite top like the confrence table and coffee nook at my office
I would have done something with that base to make the bench seating much more accessible. Those legs being there would piss me off every time I got in and out. Drives me nuts with every booth in every restaurant too. Just feels a little cramped up to me. Hey, if it's what they want, it's what they get. Just got into a back and forth about a base for a client, he eventually saw it my way after we spent like 3 or 4 hours going round and round about it. I can imagine you don't have the time to argue about the damn legs on a table for three or four hours.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Builder
34,255 Posts
I like the table but those legs are going to be hated in time.

I probably would have opted for something like this.

View attachment 513672
She was warned. I hate any kind of booth seating actually but certainly that kind. She is a decorator so…

Pretty sure that is just for show, every time I have been over there eating at that long table.

·
Artist and not a curator
17,659 Posts
She was warned. I hate any kind of booth seating actually but certainly that kind. She is a decorator so…

Pretty sure that is just for show, every time I have been over there eating at that long table.
Ah man, ****ing designers. I fight more with them then anyone. We always go round and round about what it "looks like" and then I fight about how we can make it look great and get the same feel but we need to have some functionality too or it actually takes away from the aesthetics. I get what she was going for, I just thing she missed on the base. A farm table there does look pretty good but it needed something to lessen the boldness of it.

To each their own, if she's happy and the check cleared, who gives a ****, amirite? It's just one of those things that when it's what you do as a specialty, you can get a little picky.

·
Registered
Custom
15,540 Posts
I would have done something with that base to make the bench seating much more accessible. Those legs being there would piss me off every time I got in and out. Drives me nuts with every booth in every restaurant too. Just feels a little cramped up to me. Hey, if it's what they want, it's what they get. Just got into a back and forth about a base for a client, he eventually saw it my way after we spent like 3 or 4 hours going round and round about it. I can imagine you don't have the time to argue about the damn legs on a table for three or four hours.
You legit go round and round with a guy for 3-4 hours about a base cabinet or were you just being hyperbolic? If legit, who paid for that time? Did you increase the cost of the cabinet?

4041 - 4060 of 7303 Posts