Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
3981 - 4000 of 7368 Posts

·
Builder
34,348 Posts
This has been a crazy covid ride on this remodel, had to leave for a couple months as everything was backordered after cabs and trim, which is unthinkable. Its cost plus though and it saved them money to not try and piece meal it. Then they put their house on the market in Houston and sold for 125k over asking in 4 hours, needed a place to stay and I broke my rule I am always adamant about and let them move in during punch as they had dealt with so much during the job and our crew has done a lot of occupied work, hasn't been a problem

Its not anything to put on SM but for a simple home and a good budget 3200 hvac, 4400 under roof, full gut, added second story, closed cell spray foam, variable speed hvac, new MEPs, dehumidifier, etc... all in for about a smidge under 500k or just over, we will see. First pic was after demo. My PM went through the ringer keeping budget with 30% increases in housing, he bought framing package in 5 pieces from 4 yards.... She did change her mind after seeing our 21 parade home and is paying put of pocket for a cedar tng ceiling. They are gone two weeks it will be 100% by then.

Our own guys did the concrete, framing, cornince, shingles, cabinets, trim etc...

Outdoor kitchen will be made of masonry block with a rock face and a Typhoon Bordeaux granite top. The blaze outdoor appliances are still not here, 6 months they've been on order. When they get here we will do that, my Mason will not do a outdoor kitchen at all until he has the appliances in hand

·
Builder
34,348 Posts
I think anyone whose been here long knows I dont **** about when it comes to tearing chit out when it isn't right, the out door kitchen is one we built 5 years ago, it's 4 years out of warranty, but I ****ed up and told the HO to have a canvas cover made, which I had done for them, with vented front for the fridge to breath and keep covered when they aren't in town- 3rd home on a ranch. Well, the humidity got trapped in the drawers and cabinets and midewed and no matter what I could think to try it wouldn't resolve it to my standard so- I tore it the **** out and dropped 10 gs on a masonry one with rock face, new top, new plugs, stainless doors and drawers, on my dime. Just finishing it up, just punching it. HO didn't expect that but they should. 10k isn't the end of the world but it's not been a particularly profitable year thus far and I could of allocated those resources somewhere else.

Lots of other examples over the years on this board.

But tear out isn't always the best option, or necessary. The chest beating is to be expected and is in good fun but it's a little thick on here lately from the "I'm perfect and you suck" crowd. I'd challenge everyone to atleast not jump to conclusions when someone asks what a good solution is. It's not the ice capades or an ice cream social but we can do better lending a level assessment imho. If they got honest feed back with some jabs and can't take it **** em if they can't take a joke.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,805 Posts

50% gut in a nice old house that’s going back to single family (currently two-family). Saving floors, fireplaces, door slabs and jams, and that wall thats covered in paper (stained tng). The prep work is tedious. I wish they would change order the whole place into oblivion. Destroy it all. The I could work in a maelstrom of debris and thrash metal, throwing tools when I’m done with them, etc.

It’s like Mr. Rogers does demo over here.

·
Artist and not a curator
17,722 Posts
View attachment 513442 View attachment 513443 View attachment 513444 View attachment 513445
50% gut in a nice old house that’s going back to single family (currently two-family). Saving floors, fireplaces, door slabs and jams, and that wall thats covered in paper (stained tng). The prep work is tedious. I wish they would change order the whole place into oblivion. Destroy it all. The I could work in a maelstrom of debris and thrash metal, throwing tools when I’m done with them, etc.

Color me impressed. I bet you are a breath of fresh air for every remodel GC around. Demo guys are usually as bad or worse then drywallers as far as messy. Finding a good one would be like finding a leprechaun.

Good clean work.

·
Punching above his weight
17,104 Posts
View attachment 513442 View attachment 513443 View attachment 513444 View attachment 513445

Yo, you serious with that Ram Board art inside the fireplace?

There's gotta be a happy medium...

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,805 Posts
Yo, you serious with that Ram Board art inside the fireplace?

There's gotta be a happy medium...

You should see the landscape I drew on the other side.

Listen, I’m a bit extra.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Punching above his weight
17,104 Posts
Batique is pretty neat. Something that on paper I would have no interest in, but in person I've been very impressed by. The thinking man's tie-dye?

I've kind of come around to Mondrian. I've always felt that you shouldn't need to be taught why something is good art, it should either be good or not. However, I will concede that after learning more about the life's work and progression of a Le Corbusier, it becomes less unbearable to me, so who knows?

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,805 Posts
I even make my own batique wax.

3981 - 4000 of 7368 Posts