Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3881 - 3890 of 3890 Posts

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,085 Posts
Over a half acre, might be worth it when you don't know where things will land. When you dig footers, rip it up a little but floor area will be set, solid. Pita for the dig, with having your rod guy with a razer knife in the ditch all day, but, big picture, still a win, imo. If you have a rough lay of the land, mebbe leave out some areas you know will be built on.

On a separate note, I wanna half acre spot for all my crap!!

But I digress.
I Totally agree with Ed, (On all counts of his comment.) :)
You won't regret it, in the grand scheme of things.

D.

·
Contractor
7,395 Posts
Haven’t put the stone down yet, but that would be a good idea. 👍

Topsoil is so thick here in the forest, it makes these projects kind of pricey.
Fabric seems like a pricey upgrade when you're blowing all that cash on stone already, but in 5 or 10 years, you'll think you were a genius for spending it now.
The fabric I use is $300 for a 360' X 12.5' roll.

If you get your subgrade flat and pretty solid, you can use less stone and if you need to remove an area for the building you can salvage most of the stone for reuse because it stays pretty clean. I use non-woven NS140

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,078 Posts
Well, we got after it pretty damn hard this week. My boss wanted to make a good first impression with the general on this gas station job, he's got 4 more stations to build as well we want.

We got to site Tuesday at noon, footings poured Wednesday afternoon, and 300'+ of Logix ICF down, detailed and poured Friday. Turned into a 15 hour day to get the trailer back to town and dropped at the shop, but apparently we put the GC 5 days ahead of schedule so, worth it. Not bad for a millennial and 2 Gen Z'ers lol.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,078 Posts
You guys set grade, building lines, dug and formed footings, and tied the bar in one day?
Site was dug for us by the general, and survey had 2 lines for us to go off of. We showed up, set the rest of the lines, and formed the majority of the footings day 1. Elevated, backfilled, tied bar and poured at 230 day 2. Stripped and set 2 courses of ICF with bar day 3, and finished setting the 3rd course, blockouts for doors, pipe block outs for all the subs, braced/straightened, and poured a 4 on Friday. Site was about 3.5 hours from town.

We'll be back after it's backfilled and the plumbing is done to carry on another ~10' of ICF to an inside brick ledge for trusses to bear on.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

3881 - 3890 of 3890 Posts