Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 3890 Posts

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,833 Posts
I did this in my Haulmark trailer when I had it. Much easier as the roof was arched and the fiberglass was easier to deal with when arched.

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
Rehabbed a little lane and turn around on a horse property.
Regraded what was there, covered everything with filter fabric, then tons and tons of stone.
Just beat the rain getting completed today.

Also added to the turnout paddock.

Customer said the place never looked so good, I said well, it probably did at one time... she said no, never. 😃

·
Registered
Demo
92 Posts
Rehabbed a little lane and turn around on a horse property.
Regraded what was there, covered everything with filter fabric, then tons and tons of stone.
Just beat the rain getting completed today.

View attachment 512705 View attachment 512707 View attachment 512708 View attachment 512709

Also added to the turnout paddock.

View attachment 512710

Customer said the place never looked so good, I said well, it probably did at one time... she said no, never. 😃
Looks like a nice property. Got no use for horses but it’d be nice to not see my neighbors.

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
Looks like a nice property. Got no use for horses but it’d be nice to not see my neighbors.
Yeah, it's a nice place, seemed like every property on this road has a barn and a couple hay burners living there. A couple big equestrian places as well.

I might be doing something for one of the neighbors... :)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,689 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Spent the day with my ass glued to one of two machines.

Pulled about 20 stumps, most about 18” diameter or bigger.

Half an acre. It’s getting graveled. Topsoil is 16-24 inches deep. 😳

I can grade it out a little, and hopefully get away with around 8” of quarry run.

Still gonna be 20k in rock and trucking. 👍
ED6F7AED-06EA-4893-969B-46C9AC8EB99D.jpeg
A0CD451C-6BE0-44A2-B6BD-D05025527DCB.jpeg
029788F7-E120-4D57-8F3F-2B193C83966E.jpeg

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
It’s getting graveled. Topsoil is 16-24 inches deep. 😳

I can grade it out a little, and hopefully get away with around 8” of quarry run.

Still gonna be 20k in rock and trucking. 👍
Do you install filter fabric below the stone? It separates the soil from the aggregate and the stone stays cleaner much longer and can bridge over questionable soils.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Do you install filter fabric below the stone? It separates the soil from the aggregate and the stone stays cleaner much longer and can bridge over questionable soils.
Haven’t put the stone down yet, but that would be a good idea. 👍

Topsoil is so thick here in the forest, it makes these projects kind of pricey.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Fabric seems like a pricey upgrade when you're blowing all that cash on stone already, but in 5 or 10 years, you'll think you were a genius for spending it now.
Only thing that came to mind is it might get structures on it in the future.

Well house and tanks, maybe a truck wash/carport. Who knows what else.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
501 Posts
Matches another structure on the lot, and counting the price of formwork, yes block was cheaper.
Haven't been around block in a while... what's the production time on a wall like that. looks like you're gonna grout the top course, bottom too? horizontal ladders every other course? verts #4 - 48 OC?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
I built the leads, 30-40 minutes each.

O have a part time helper that wants to learn masonry, so I kind of turned him loose on this one.

He did a great job, especially for his first one. About 350 block, about 3 days. Mixing his own mortar and cleanup and stocking all by himself.

Not bad.

4’ verticals on this one, 3 horizontal rows. Fully grouted. Everything here is fully grouted.

·
1 on 2
Mason
313 Posts
Only thing that came to mind is it might get structures on it in the future.

Well house and tanks, maybe a truck wash/carport. Who knows what else.
Over a half acre, might be worth it when you don't know where things will land. When you dig footers, rip it up a little but floor area will be set, solid. Pita for the dig, with having your rod guy with a razer knife in the ditch all day, but, big picture, still a win, imo. If you have a rough lay of the land, mebbe leave out some areas you know will be built on.

On a separate note, I wanna half acre spot for all my crap!!

But I digress.

3861 - 3880 of 3890 Posts