Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 3890 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts
Have seen 2 burn to slab, plumbers sweating copper. Slab condemned & all. 1 was a 2 mil on top of a mountain outside of Albuquerque. Now that was a bad day. Pex is only thing used here now. Torch popular here, thankfully, never seen 1 blazing

Mike
Yep, I came back from lunch when I was carpentering for Steve Reitz and put out a fire caused by swearing copper, just had to change one piece of Sheeting and 2 studs. Plumber shrugged like "it happens" 🤣

Got called to Kingsland on mutual aidr when I was a VFF to stage when Kingsland Clinic burned down when it was under construction, plumber sersting copper. Builders risk covered and never heard if they sued plumber

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts
I bet that driveway cost more than my damn house. That's gonna be slick

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Not going to buy a hlise but a new truck lol

I got one in design that has stone inlay, stacked and stained driveway for 240' . 2/3 the size of that pad pictured and 20% more budget. Going to be bad ass.

You get that multu family?

Reactions: A&E Exteriors

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,771 Posts
Working this today. Soffit and fascia. Crazy building, original guy that owned it got killed in an accident. Been sitting for few years
So new owner is getting it weathered in then try and sell it. Full of pigeon poop.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
Helps when you add pictures.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Finished this island today. I built/installed the cabinets and had them finished by my painter. I've been waiting for the top for about a month and they finally got done with fabrication last week. Quartz top with 15" overhangs on 2 sides. I really appreciate the advice I got from all of you for this project.

IMG_0126[1].JPG
IMG_0125[1].JPG
IMG_0124[1].JPG
IMG_0123[1].JPG

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
Looks nice.

Outlet under an overhang doesn't pass code here.

I hate having to put an outlet on an island.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Looks good.

We’ve gone to Mocketts for islands and most of the cabinets on window walls.

Back home that island would have required 2 possible 3 outlets. One on each side of the sink, then one for every 4 square feet the sink side ones would not have covered.

Here it is 2’ oc for counters, but not islands.

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
So she wanted the cabinets to touch both the door casing and the window trim, tight. Tried to explain to her it can't be done easily. Probably have to take off the window trim. She didn't like that idea and I also said I'd put it back on and caulk it in but that was as much as I would do, she could hire a painter to do the other work. Wrote that into the contract.

But I was able to figure out a way around it. Removable end panel with a rabbeted corner bead. After great deliberation, coping to the floor (out 3/8" over 32") and coping to the right (or left) wall that had a 3/16" lean and coping the end panel to the back wall (floor dropped 3/8" over 20" and wall leaned back over 1/4") and rabbet planing the door trim which had a 1/16" curve in it which actually did impact the ability to get the cabinet to swing into the space without being sprung we finally go the cabinet to swing into place with the appropriate 1 3/16" of space between the window trim and cabinet so the end panel could slip in and be tight against the trim.

And then we got to do the same with the left cabinet.

Copied the moldings from the house by stealing a 6" section from above the cabinet. Made them in the shop, the cove and the picture hanging molding. The flat molding with a small profile on the bottom edge was so I could stand the cabinet up in the room without making it in two parts. Plus it made it so the cabinet would be below the ceiling molding when installed. The ceiling was 4 1/2" from the top of the cabinet at the rear and about 4"-4 1/4" at the front. So 1/2" drop over 20". Fun is.....

Had to take an 1/8" off the radiator cover so it would be able to go between the cabinets which had the same space as the cover was wide.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,771 Posts
Be carefully, wear a mask, you can some diseases from dry poop. I don't know a names, but you may get some like flu symptoms, lead poisoning and rubella together.
All my work is on the exterior of the building.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,866 Posts
All my work is on the exterior of the building.

Then you should wear 4 of them. Make sure to label each one with a marker so each disease knows that it isn't allowed to try to get through.

Gotta be extra cautious these days.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
At least masks would actually work in this situation. The disease rides on physical particles that the mask will actually trap. You still need to be careful handling the mask when it's full of chit, literally.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My uncle raised pigeons back in the 70's and 80's and he got some kind of sickness that the doctors contributed to the pigeons.

nicko

3821 - 3840 of 3890 Posts