Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3957 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
You going blind or what Tom? Can't you see those 4 pics?

Actually, I don't type very fast on my phone, so I typed it all out on my puter & went back & edited my post from my phone to upload the pics. You're just too fast on the trigger. :)

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,173 Posts
I was in a hurry, wanted to get the floor graded for concrete on Monday, so I did part of the electricians job for him. Oh, and put the water line in, guess that means I get to charge both plumber and electrician rates?
I'll be back, got to go pick out my chinchilla coat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Pain in the butt wall to wall floor to ceiling built in Walls and floor out of level/plumb just enough to make things difficult. Both walls leaned to the right. The floor sloped to the right. Both corners were under 90º pushing the cabinets to the center. Had to get a bit creative and grind some of the upper cabinet box because things got squeezed because of the lean on the wall. But we persisted and made it work.

Still have to secure the left upper to the counter and the counter to the lower and make some more holes for the TV and put up crown.

Despite the large window in the room we needed lights all day.

Doors on

·
Registered
Construction Managment Student at BYU
22 Posts
Post a picture of your current job.
I'm currently working on designing a subdivision for a capstone project! Please ingnore all the unfinished houses haha!
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.30.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 12.37.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 12.38.08 PM.png

Previous Threads.
Part I
Part II
I'm currently working on designing a subdivision for a capstone project! Please ingnore all the unfinished houses haha!

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,439 Posts
Brownstone house, more then 100 years old, historical district, matching existing crown. Left in the hallway, right in staircase. Like crisscross an apple with pear. I almost like it myself :)

·
Artist and not a curator
12,990 Posts
Brownstone house, more then 100 years old, historical district, matching existing crown. Left in the hallway, right in staircase. Like crisscross an apple with pear. I almost like it myself :)
Don't lie to yourself.

The craftsmanship is very impressive, it's worth it just to look at. The look though is grating.

Takes a lot of craftsmanship to overcome terrible appeal but takes little appeal to overcome subpar craftsmanship.

You knocked that out of the park. No offense though, it still looks like a mess. Kudos to you to drawing ones eye away from the look and into "how did they do that" category.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,990 Posts
I finally got to take a picture from work today. Tarpon on the beach creeping up on some threadfins... he said he was cool as long as it didn't show the building.
20210513_114822.jpg
20210513_114726.jpg

·
Baby Sitter for Grown Men
134 Posts
Looks good. You should finish off those octagon sections with a medallion if some sort. Something super simple but just causes a slight depth dimension change.
Great minds think alike. You are absolutely right. I do have some medallions and trim to add there, but with the cabinets being delivered tomorrow the blitz was on to complete the hardwood flooring.

I had some leftover black galaxy tile so decided to do a floor highlight under each ceiling feature. Had a good chat with my floor tile guy to get some tips and dos and don't before going ahead.

It was a tremendous amount of work, and I don't really get to look at it, with the ramboard and floor protection going down right after a section was installed. Learned a lot of tricks and was fortunate enough to have the precise size router bit I needed to slot the floor panels.

Attachments

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
Great minds think alike. You are absolutely right. I do have some medallions and trim to add there, but with the cabinets being delivered tomorrow the blitz was on to complete the hardwood flooring.

I had some leftover black galaxy tile so decided to do a floor highlight under each ceiling feature. Had a good chat with my floor tile guy to get some tips and dos and don't before going ahead.

It was a tremendous amount of work, and I don't really get to look at it, with the ramboard and floor protection going down right after a section was installed. Learned a lot of tricks and was fortunate enough to have the precise size router bit I needed to slot the floor panels.

I've done similar inlays, but I do them different. I mark out where the medallions /tiles, ect go on the floor & make that a no nail zone. Then lay the floor as usual. Then go back with a rail saw, & cut it in if it's straight, or use a router & template if it's odd shaped. Way faster than your process.

Yours looks good though.

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts
Forgot to update on our Llano River remodel - its been done a couple weeks. These pics are at 90% completed, guys were still punching it and laying truf here. For some reason don't have finished pics of the outdoor kitchen with the quartz. We have it being photographed soon and will post better pics of the finished product

BTW my guys didn't build that chit as stone ramp and the master vanity was existing

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
He made me put big holes in my panel 😫

Edited them out.

3721 - 3740 of 3957 Posts