Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3661 - 3680 of 3887 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,517 Posts
One of the few true customs my granddad drew and built. Drew it by hand like all his homes. He preffered to work for working people rather than wealthy folks, my dad (his son in law) got bored with that pretty quick and started sub contracting for some high end GCs building big cut up houses. My granddad never made the jump, never wanted to. Never had a contract and never got sued or sued anyone.

This was his last house, coincidentally. I can see a lot of flaws/blemishes but the work is still quality, and the vent pipes and window placement etc... might also of been because he was 80 and dementia was starting in.... and not just because he was used to building 1500 - 3000 sq ft ranchers.

Measuring a lot near here today

·
Super Moderator
27,517 Posts
This is a nice version of his standard home. Check out that R panel roof lol. I was framing a house next door, or had just started welding the floor supports in place as a carpenter for a contractor next door when he was finishing it, I was 19 so 19 years ago.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How did that auger work for you. I am thinking about renting one for about ten holes I need for a deck that I’m starting next week. The guy that I used in the past had an auger on his skid steer but he went bankrupt and now I cant find anybody around me with an auger. I need to go 36” deep 12” diameter

nicko

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,654 Posts
He's got a few more feet to go to bury himself.

·
90%-er
1,412 Posts
And here is why I'm willing to travel for work. You see enough Mcmansions at home, and they all start to blend together. Can't even tell what sub I'm in most of the time. But this.. This is a two minute quad ride from the job we're on. Mile long Beach, millions of perfectly flat stones, sand, and crystal clear water. Not a single other person on the beach.

·
Super Moderator
27,517 Posts
Our custom off 401 in Summit is rolling again. We were well into some work and the bank he uses, RFBCU still hadn't sent the pidly 15k deposit. You can only get as much as 5%, this want even 2% (you have to prove soft costs), as a deposit, your almost commercial territory with these wannabe jokers payouts, so we said sorry about your luck and bounced. I felt bad for the homeowner, great people, but fvck that bank. I reminded his lackey (they aren't bankers they are button pushers there) that I get 5 days added to the contract everyday we are late being paid so congratulations you added 75 days to his contract lol

Now he's deposited cash to pay us and get repaid by the bank. In all fairness I told him to use a local bank, and I just told a prospect today they could choose between these 4 banks, great rates. If not, find another builder

Anyway, TxElectricians and his guys got the conduit for the underground in and temp power as soon as the utility fires it. If we can find room in budget (doubtful with material prices) we may put a 8x40 Azek cantilievered deck on the second story of the barndo where the mezzanine apartment is to match the second story balcony on the house

·
Punching above his weight
10,699 Posts
I liked your post about the house your Granddad did, and I also liked that you were picking out the flaws. hah

I was rolling through a nice area in NJ with my father, where he did a lot of work in the past. This was just dumb luck, but we happened to be driving by a very nice commercial block with one ass ugly looking pure 80's ****box on it. I swear I'm not making this up. I said out loud, "Always loved this block, but it's a shame about that awful mansard roof on that one."
My Dad says, "I built that."
Couldn't believe it. Couldn't believe the luck, couldn't believe he did it.
He says, "What? They designed it and their money was green. You'd have said no?"
Probably not, no.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,078 Posts
I did one job that was a gaudy Jewish/Italian North Jersey special. Entire main living area was floor to ceiling mirrors. One of the worst jobs I've ever done.
If I had to do it again, I'd cover the entire floor in masonite and smash them all with a hammer. Just get it over with and clean up. An entire day of prying with metal on glass was too much for me.
I can't imagine doing that overhead. You're a beast.
Luckily (????) all the glue holding it up had failed, so only small oak trim pieces at the joints were holding the entire thing together. Only broke one trying to pull it down, and only dropped one 12" × 48" section. Somehow survived the 8'4" x 48" main roof pieces unscathed. Definitely needed the brown underpants that day

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,821 Posts
How did that auger work for you. I am thinking about renting one for about ten holes I need for a deck that I’m starting next week. The guy that I used in the past had an auger on his skid steer but he went bankrupt and now I cant find anybody around me with an auger. I need to go 36” deep 12” diameter

nicko
They work pretty decent. Clay sucks no matter what but all in all worth the rental. We did 5 42" x 16" holes in about 5 hours

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

3661 - 3680 of 3887 Posts