Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 3957 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I build new custom homes for clients, typically having 3-4 under construction. I also almost always have one or two specs going too. But I recently did a rare job, a spec remodel. These links show the before and after. The 1st is the "before" house, the 2nd is a realtors link showing the house remodeled. It had a handful of really bad floor plan issues, dated finishes, no elevator to 3rd floor master, a utility closet rather than a utility room, and master bedroom 40' from the master bath. I fixed all of those issues, gutted the kitchen, and several other fixes. It was a very fun job for me, just listed it for sale yesterday. The house was built in 2003.

Before:

After: 202 Crestwood Drive, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com

·
Registered
Custom
13,230 Posts
I build new custom homes for clients, typically having 3-4 under construction. I also almost always have one or two specs going too. But I recently did a rare job, a spec remodel. These links show the before and after. The 1st is the "before" house, the 2nd is a realtors link showing the house remodeled. It had a handful of really bad floor plan issues, dated finishes, no elevator to 3rd floor master, a utility closet rather than a utility room, and master bedroom 40' from the master bath. I fixed all of those issues, gutted the kitchen, and several other fixes. It was a very fun job for me, just listed it for sale yesterday. The house was built in 2003.

Before:

Was this the one with the elevator?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts

Before:

That's bad ass to say the least. Excellent transformation

Reactions: AllanE

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,582 Posts

Before:

Looks great Allen! From the pictures, it’s hard to tell how the floorplan issues were dealt with… regardless it looks like it shows really well.

It’s amazing that sometimes little things jump out at me. At the 2:16 mark of the “before” video and then slide 15 of the “after” pictures, is that a glass-doored wine cooler behind the bar? If so, how do the doors work? Do they seal? Based on the hinging, it looks like they don’t seal.

Can I find a minor item or what? Could be something wrong with my brain.

·
Stonemason
659 Posts
Just a little cabin in the woods...
This one has been underway for a couple of years now. The decision making process is painfully slow but it seems to be a ‘Hobby’ for the owner and she is not bothered in the least.
Our part in all of this are the three interior fireplaces, the chimneys outside along with 650 lineal feet of stone skirting and sill wrapping around the building. One of the chimneys is ‘false’ and houses the exhaust blowers for the main kitchen as well as the hidden chefs kitchen.
As you might imagine after seeing all the glass and clear cedar siding, money is not much of a concern here.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,173 Posts
We've fined tuned it down to a quarter inch hole.

Mike.
___
Is that drilled in the center of the board, or offset up or down?
Do you think you'll have issues with expansion/contraction without a groove?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
Is that drilled in the center of the board, or offset up or down?
Do you think you'll have issues with expansion/contraction without a groove?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It's center. And I can't see any future issues. It really works great, imo.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Was this the one with the elevator?
This house did not have an elevator nor did it have an obvious location to put one, especially since they need a 12"-14" pit. I figured out a location in the old breezeway area they was dropped 10", lowered the slab a few more inches, cut/moved some floor trusses in the 2nd and 3rd floor, re-routed a bunch of wiring, re-framed, and installed the elevator. No way this house could not have one.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
At the 2:16 mark of the “before” video and then slide 15 of the “after” pictures, is that a glass-doored wine cooler behind the bar? If so, how do the doors work? Do they seal? Based on the hinging, it looks like they don’t seal.
It had what I would call a half-a$$ wine cooler, I removed the rinky-dink racks and the equipment and left it for the next owner.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
How do you keep from burning your flutes at the end? I have already made a little tapered ramp that let my router come up without stopping but that's a totally different look than stopped flutes.

nicko
They did burn a little. I did flutes on some face frames for the job with a brand new 3/8" core box bit. I did it on my router table. They didn't burn at the ends.

Then I did the same thing with a brand new 1/2" corbox bit and had some burning, not bad but it was there. I use a curved chisel, a #9/10mm gouge to clean them up. For the 3/8" flutes I used a #9/7mm gouge.

3621 - 3640 of 3957 Posts