Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 3739 Posts

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,963 Posts
You'd better stick with stainless steel with a grate on the bottom.

I use cast iron almost exclusively. I'd go with the highest quality stainless available.
For the countertops, I'd make them out of hard maple. Let the dings, dents and burns become part of the patina/character.

·
Kowboy
2,208 Posts
I use cast iron almost exclusively. I'd go with the highest quality stainless available.
For the countertops, I'd make them out of hard maple. Let the dings, dents and burns become part of the patina/character.
Unlike cast iron, the color goes all the way through the Elkay Quartz Luxe sink pictured previously. Nicks are much more inconspicuous and possibly repairable, again unlike cast iron. If you're undermounting cast iron, you'd better use a $300.00 Pete's Sink Mount Kit; the Elkay hangs fine on $10.00 worth of Sink Straps.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,963 Posts
Unlike cast iron, the color goes all the way through the Elkay Quartz Luxe sink pictured previously. Nicks are much more inconspicuous and possibly repairable, again unlike cast iron. If you're undermounting cast iron, you'd better use a $300.00 Pete's Sink Mount Kit; the Elkay hangs fine on $10.00 worth of Sink Straps.
I should have said I use cast iron to cook with.

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Wanted to save a trip and finish this up when I set the door in the above post. They were setting the appliances, no room in the kitchen for my fat butt.

The ceiling light in the dinning area is original to the home. They had it cleaned and rewired.

Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Nice little mishap Friday afternoon sometime between 11 and 230 - our own TxElectrician caught it or we wouldn't of know until one of us came to make sure the house was locked. Plumber left valve open is my guess when they turned water back on on a second story bathroom, tile guy had drain covered.

Not a huge fan of these surrounds but they are better than I thought they'd be for sure and a lot of folks who've come by like them. I'm for sure not Martha Stewart or a designer so who knows.

One of these days this house will end. Favorite client, but this far into it we need some new scenery. Just got the 5th edition of the driveway plan today..... going to be nice, unless it gets edited. Stone inlay in diagonal pattern. Or maybe pavers... was definitely stone but she mentioned pavers. Maybe a change coming lol.

My pop is resisting it but I may have to come over and start punching this thing in my down time. Which is what I like to do in my downtime lol
j

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Did the floor survive? Both in the bath and the living room.
Yeah both had taped Ditra, bath had epoxy grout and the water wasn't on there long. It only leaked at toilet, which weren't silicone in. Just some base and sound batts

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Sometimes you just get lucky!

My luck... those would have been hardwood floors below.
Started a full exterior remodel today....siding, expand the front deck, porch roof, full new roof, and new windows.

Turns out Mattsk8 is practically a neighbor.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
When does the multi family start

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,066 Posts
Working on a deck extension. We build a shop for this customer at the end of the summer last year, her brother is our excavation sub. She didn't want anything fancy, but she's been waiting for this since they bought this house 2 years ago. Beefed up a section of the existing for a hot tub, converting it to drip through as well to help with any... splashing lol.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

3601 - 3620 of 3739 Posts