Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 3563 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts

Another big Island Reno. Removing lap and adding unpainted cedar individual shake over wompy “corners” (ie ripping each piece individually per existing fluctuating angle) blowing out stair sets and adding new with new landings and ipe, new framing for windows and doors, changing opening sizes, closing off openings, building out octagonal wall and demo of stucco for louvres with aligned reveal, etc etc. lot of work. Gonna be badass.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
This one was a struggle. Took way longer than it should of. The homeowners acted as their own GC, they have a greater appreciation for the work of a GC now.

The RSWO lower we ended up making twice, the male wanted it clipped female wanted it as you see it. You can see who won that battle......

The people they hired to do the other trades were sub par to put it kindly. I helped way more than I should have.

On to the next one or two or three or.....

Tom

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,871 Posts
Sweet. Nice cope around the bullnose corner.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
I'll take the uphill side. Gotta love that shock and awe when you get over the ridge and look down. :LOL:

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,135 Posts
Helping do so work on this Monday, renting my lift from me. Then as soon as get rest framing do can start on the metal roofs. Hate it is up so high.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
Will that lift allow the boom to operate on that steep of a slope, or will you have to make a flat spot for it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,638 Posts
Will that lift allow the boom to operate on that steep of a slope, or will you have to make a flat spot for it?

I will be driving it closer which wil level it out more , but yes this will operate at that angle. But sometimes I don't. LOL I will be extented to the max to make it all the way up. Harness time again. On the outside just to the left and inside on the right . need to run a 4x4 angle iron attached to the concrete to the upper roof I joists to prevent any uplift. 8' over hang on side where lift is.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,025 Posts
Well, pulled my trailer off the net zero farmhouse on Friday. Was a tough push the last couple days but I wanted to meet that goal. We have done foundation, frame, roofing, siding, windows, decks, soundproofing and garage insulation. Garage slab gets poured Wednesday now that the radiant is down in there, and the housekeeping pads throughout will go down once the ground dries up a bit and we can get a track skid around. Sprayfoaming the entire house this week, then blower door test. I will pop in periodically but most of the remaining work out there will be our interior guy.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Artist and not a curator
12,147 Posts
Well, pulled my trailer off the net zero farmhouse on Friday. Was a tough push the last couple days but I wanted to meet that goal. We have done foundation, frame, roofing, siding, windows, decks, soundproofing and garage insulation. Garage slab gets poured Wednesday now that the radiant is down in there, and the housekeeping pads throughout will go down once the ground dries up a bit and we can get a track skid around. Sprayfoaming the entire house this week, then blower door test. I will pop in periodically but most of the remaining work out there will be our interior guy.

That is really tight work. Every tradesman really likes to see a well framed house. You boys up north seem to have a bevy of really good framers, if this forum is a good representation of the real world.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,025 Posts
That is really tight work. Every tradesman really likes to see a well framed house. You boys up north seem to have a bevy of really good framers, if this forum is a good representation of the real world.
Thanks, really appreciate that. My guys and I definitely put a ton of effort into this build, we really enjoyed tackling our first net zero project. There's always good and bad everywhere, only the good come here lol.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,025 Posts
Quick little hit today, fun to blast something out after the big one. Shingle it tomorrow, then it'll get new duradeck before we can come back and aluminum wrap posts, beams, soffits and fascia.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,147 Posts
Thanks, really appreciate that. My guys and I definitely put a ton of effort into this build, we really enjoyed tackling our first net zero project. There's always good and bad everywhere, only the good come here lol.

You boys in the frozen tundra are animals. Seeing the pics with ice on the decking freaks me out. If you guys migrate south you could make a killing, everyone keeps begging for decent framers.

When you understand the thought it takes to make everything line up, you appreciate someone doing that. Makes all of our lives easier and super confident that plumb and level matter to others as well.

That's one of those homes you are happy to rebuild doors in or whatever. That's something that someone in 75 years will enjoy. Framers to me, are the most under appreciated profession in the trades. Never met a dumb lead. Have to be willing to kill yourself in weather. And can't afford to not be a tough SOB.

Even though you'll never hear it, some future tradesman, decades to come, thanks you. Almost.... allllllmost makes one miss it... but not really, hah.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Got one landing framed in and Ipe added with Boral risers. Finished shake octagonal tower less continuous friese and are halfway finished with right elevation shake wall and new entry door framing for taller/wider sapele sets. Starting to see it take shape.

3541 - 3560 of 3563 Posts