Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 3412 Posts

·
90%-er
1,345 Posts
That was quick.

You have crew on that one?

Looks nice.
Hell yeah brother. Had three of us the first day, and five today. Plus the bobcat yesterday, which cut the post hole digging down from several hours to about forty five minutes. We were done with the job by 130 today so I sent everyone home early because it was pretty draining building this thing in 20 degrees with gusting winds.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,862 Posts
Day started out pretty bleak. Sno and I packed up the truck and headed up to the job. On the way it started to snow. There was no snow in the forecast. Got to the job and started unloading quickly. A bit too quick. Picked up a drawer cab and it tipped slightly and of course that put the cabinet off balance which made the drawer come out even quicker. The drawer front smashed into the curb and took a small chunk out of the corner. What we didn't know was on of the Blum locks got ripped out of the other drawer and we had to glue the chunk taken out from the underside of the drawer. This was just time, the drawer was fixed and good as new. The drawer front needs to be remade.

So with this job I had to put a 32" wide, 30" deep 101 1/2" tall cabinet in a room that had a 25" wide, 79 3/4" door opening. So the cabinet had to be built inside the room. We got started with the project about 11:20 or so. Left the shop at 10, got there about 10:45, unloaded and dealt with the carnage and then started to assemble the cabinet.

Full scribe on one side and one stile. Pocket screwed the top to the show side and through screwed on the wall side. Used a sliding dovetail for the show side mid shelf

And then joined that to the wall side. The base was installed and screwed to the sides. It will support a stacked washer and dryer.

I made the cross members 3/16" off the floor so they could be shimmed and not scribed.

After everything was assembled but the backs we noticed the left was a 1/16" high which causes a significant tilt away from the wall. Took it apart, removed the 1/16" and everything was good. Stapled the 2 backs on and screwed it to the wall. Put the shims for the base and then put the deck on. Installed the two drawer cabinet, they went pretty quick, 3/4 hour each. Had to drill 3 holes in for the once attached to the W/D cabinet and 3 holes and and outlet in the closest one. Put the drawers in, the two upper doors on. The lower doors will be put on after the hoist the washer dryer into the cabinet.

Counters and sinks need to be installed and plumbed before I can make the notched drawer. At that time the doors will be installed, the handles and the toekick skins.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Roofing in the winter is the absolute definition of suck. It's a 6/12, so not thatbad, but even swept you can't stand on it the ply is so slick. Got the first 8 rows on the back (north) side of the house and garage off of ladder jacks and a plank so now we have some grip. Tomorrow we will blast off as much as we can.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Pro
4,437 Posts
Lake side. We're doing Fortress steel deck framing with composite picture frame decking.

The upper canopy/balcony will be 12-16' 2x6 joists let into my floor system, and cantilever 4' out. I still need to get that "engineered".

The lower deck is 8' depth X 20'. I have two helical piles back there and will free span around 20' via 2 ply steel beam, and hanger the joists. That will eliminate the center post, and upset the beam depth to maximize walk out window view.

Steel Deck Framing Fortress Steel Deck Framing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,529 Posts
Roofing in the winter is the absolute definition of suck. It's a 6/12, so not thatbad, but even swept you can't stand on it the ply is so slick. Got the first 8 rows on the back (north) side of the house and garage off of ladder jacks and a plank so now we have some grip. Tomorrow we will blast off as much as we can.

Do you have any problems with the shingles staying down this time of the year , wind and all? Hard shingling here during the winter. Have worked on a number of new house with shingles gone or standing straight up.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Do you have any problems with the shingles staying down this time of the year , wind and all? Hard shingling here during the winter. Have worked on a number of new house with shingles gone or standing straight up.
I haven't done a lot of shingling in the winter, but this one hasn't been bad. All the flat runs ran great, we made sure not to store shingles over the ridge so they stayed flat, and the weather has only just started dropping below -10. The hardest part was getting the valley to sit nice, especially the bottom weave. I nailed the windward side with a high wind pattern, not because it was called for, just because I know they won't bond until the summer and the winds have been pretty bad. Don't like doing it but had to get it done.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I usually only build custom homes for clients and maybe 1-2 spec homes at a time, but recently purchased a home to remodel and resale (spec remodel). It was a 16 yr old home with a horrible floor plan. I could never figure out how to fix the floor plan, but once I did I made an offer, seller accepted, and now I am remodeling it to put back on the market in a couple of months. Total remodel time will be 7 months. 202 Crestwood Drive, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com

Attachments

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,484 Posts
Allen, about a year ago I started a thread on flipping multi-million-dollar houses.

I’m really interested in how this goes for you. Keep us up to date. Perhaps start a new thread or contact me directly.

Good luck and hopefully we talk soon!

Paul

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Roof is done, all the exterior sheeting we left out is done (last pic is before), tyvek is happening, and the entryway deck is framed. Master bedroom deck tomorrow, and move on to backframing. Concrete in the basement pushed until Thursday.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,529 Posts
Roof is done, all the exterior sheeting we left out is done (last pic is before), tyvek is happening, and the entryway deck is framed. Master bedroom deck tomorrow, and move on to backframing. Concrete in the basement pushed until Thursday.

That looks like so much fun. But sometimes just got to do what you got do to keep the job going.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
That looks like so much fun. But sometimes just got to do what you got do to keep the job going.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
Exactly. We don't trust the roofers around here, so we do it ourselves when we GC/have the choice. Somehow less fun in the winter... who would have thought. Snowing again tonight so glad we are done

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Thoughts on that strange mini-hip section? It was super weird to frame and cap, but I think it turned out alright for what it is. Still a weird azz design to me...

·
Pro
4,437 Posts
Thoughts on that strange mini-hip section? It was super weird to frame and cap, but I think it turned out alright for what it is. Still a weird azz design to me...

Given how small it is, I think that is the most secure and inconspicuous way to go about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3181 - 3200 of 3412 Posts