Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3412 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,652 Posts
Hey John,

Do me a favor next time your out at the project. I noticed a large picture window in the back of the house. Go inside and lightly press your palm in the middle of the glass. Let me know what you find.
Like a hand print? 🤣

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,484 Posts
We installed a 4’ x 4’ Sierra Pacific picture window in our last project. On the last day, we’re cleaning out and I went to wash the window. The interior pane was extremely thin and bowed badly when I was washing it (actually will touch the exterior pane when pressed).

Sierra’s response was: “yeah that will happen”. Just wondering if all Sierra windows are made the same. Ours was tempered. Based on your video, yours probably isn’t.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,862 Posts
3/32" tempered glass is standard for residential. 1/8" tempered is much less used and twice as strong.

·
Super Moderator
26,652 Posts
We installed a 4’ x 4’ Sierra Pacific picture window in our last project. On the last day, we’re cleaning out and I went to wash the window. The interior pane was extremely thin and bowed badly when I was washing it (actually will touch the exterior pane when pressed).

Sierra’s response was: “yeah that will happen”. Just wondering if all Sierra windows are made the same. Ours was tempered. Based on your video, yours probably isn’t.
If you mean these they are tempered, have to be by sq ft and height off floor. All the windows on the lakeside are tempered

I will see whats up when they take the masking down and let you know what I find.

Sierra Pacific isn't the best windows we have used but so far haven't had any issues, probably put in 5 houses in H3s. Switched to a mix of Kolby and Sierra Pacific windows, some Lincoln and a few Andersons.

Id be hot if they said that'll happen 😆

·
Registered
3,164 Posts

You can generally spec out the glass thickness. If you told the sales person that price was a factor, that would be one of the first line items they'd cheese out on.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,484 Posts
You can generally spec out the glass thickness. If you told the sales person that price was a factor, that would be one of the first line items they'd cheese out on.
I haven't said those words in 20 years. My rep knows that. If I tried to say those words, my tongue would jump off its roller and gag me to death.

·
Super Moderator
26,652 Posts
Love seeing multiple trades on the job at rough in time, especially ona 12-14 week timeline. All three MEPs on site and carpenters forming the slab for the addition in the back. Everyone in a good mood and busting balls. Looks like the super is pushing hard for his piece. We are 8 days in or so

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,862 Posts
I've seen worse. Hell I've scribed worse.

·
Always Learning
8,611 Posts
I've seen worse. Hell I've scribed worse.
Original design was a flat shaker crown but I pushed the client to this design after we put a straightedge on the ceiling. I felt the crown would look way worse scribed to the ceiling vs this simple trim board.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,862 Posts
18th century has taught me about nothing being straight, flat, level, plumb, or true.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Steady as she goes. Got the FOS in and sheeted, valleys sheeted through, shingles delivered this morning. Overframe in the garage was a headache but got that done at the end of the day. Our plumbers got the radiant installed, and everything passed inspection so rebar in the basement slab is going in. Should be pouring that next week once the roof is water tight.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Steady as she goes. Got the FOS in and sheeted, valleys sheeted through, shingles delivered this morning. Overframe in the garage was a headache but got that done at the end of the day. Our plumbers got the radiant installed, and everything passed inspection so rebar in the basement slab is going in. Should be pouring that next week once the roof is water tight.

Hopefully it isn't as bad tomorrow but maybe I'll get a picture of how frosty that roof deck gets for you southern boys that don't know that fear

3161 - 3180 of 3412 Posts