Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 3412 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
28,106 Posts
Looks like there used to be horses across the street from your build, and an old farmhouse. Did that all used to be part of a farm?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,452 Posts
Addition/Remodel I’m finishing up.

I installed the hardwood, first for me, and did the epoxy fill on the holes.

Subbed out the sanding and finishing.

I did all the rest, for better or worse. 🙄

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,652 Posts
First remodel that wasn't 70% tear down or a full gut, new MEPS ect since early last year. Nice change of pace 👌

our young super is PMing the whole deal, budget, client etc... hes pushing to make fast progress, a lot done for a couple days, there's a loft that's gutted too.

u

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,652 Posts
Trim guy's a little confused, but he's got the right spirit

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
I hope that's not real lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Leo.
do you mind telling me what your schedule was for the dark maple tops?
I have some hard maple I’m getting started to finish dark. I just started to experiment with dye in DNA sprayed to avoid splotches then ML Campbell wiping stain.
thanks......Nicko

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,862 Posts
Leo.
do you mind telling me what your schedule was for the dark maple tops?
I have some hard maple I’m getting started to finish dark. I just started to experiment with dye in DNA sprayed to avoid splotches then ML Campbell wiping stain.
thanks......Nicko

It's not as dark in the picture as it is in real life but it is dark

Sand Maple to 150 grit.

Condition the Maple with Woodsong II stain base. Let it soak in and keep filling in the dry areas for a few minutes until things stay mostly wet. Wipe it down and wait 2 hours.

Walnut Microton Dye sprayed out of an HVLP onto the surface of Maple to a very light even coating. If you go to much the color will be very dark.

Don't wait too long and apply your WoodSong II dark color stain and let it sit as long as you can before it gets sticky and hard to wipe off. If it does apply a bit more stain to loosen it up. Do not apply stain to a surface that has been fully wiped down and starting to dry, it will lighten that area. I apply my stain with an HVLP and wipe it off using Bounty paper towels. Usually 3 sets. 1st one to push the stain around, second one takes the majority of the stain off and the 3rd set takes off the remaining wet stain. You can scrub the darker areas with a new towel to lighten it somewhat and even areas out if necessary.

DO SAMPLES to get the dye right. Do not soak the wood, just a light surface coating, unless you want nearly black.

Here's what the dye looked like for mine.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Friday photo dump! Solid week in my books! Roof is up (3 trusses on-site repaired/re-engineered, 3 trusses rebuilt at the plant), rake windows framed under the scissor gables, lagoon done, basement ready for radiant tubing. We will get valley piggy trusses up Monday, finish sheeting, and start some roofing mid-week maybe to get us dried in for the basement slab.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,452 Posts
Nice work. (y)

That a residencve, or some type of commercial structure?

Did you use a boom lift for sheeting those walls?

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
994 Posts
Nice work. (y)

That a residencve, or some type of commercial structure?

Did you use a boom lift for sheeting those walls?
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

This is a custom house being built to net zero standard. We always sheet on the ground prior to lifting the walls, the tall walls I'm assuming are in question we placed using an excavator.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Leo
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I am tying to get in to the same color family of some bamboo flooring that i installed for my customer. I sprayed orange transtint dye then golden brown transtint on top of that and then ML Campbell American walnut stain. I am now done with the staining and i know about the to dark thing with dye but i made it to dark any way. I didn't know when to say when. I think it will be ok though. I hope! I will have to try clear stain base next time i assumed if i fogged the dye on mixed with DNA i wouldn't get any splotching but i got some. It is step treads so I'm hoping my customer is ok with it.

Thanks ...............Nicko

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,452 Posts
The hearth gets a tile heat shield installed, gapped one inch off the wall.
I decided to use Uni-Strut for this one, to gap it off the wall.

Wish I’d thought of that earlier.

Its not actually wavy, that’s just how my camera, or me, 🙄 takes pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,929 Posts
Well I've made it to the big time:rolleyes: Mayor Wright Housing, built in the early 40s for military housing is now used for low income housing(slums).
A couple of hours after I start the crack heads start coming out with their carts of stuff.

The cops show up and they scatter just like roaches! These were built in the early 40s for military housing.

All the upper cabs were steal just nailed to the wall. We demoed about 20 units.

So yea, I make em nice for the folks that like the free stuff.

3141 - 3160 of 3412 Posts