Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2837 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
We are as bad as clients with changing our minds - they were setting up ribbon curbs and we were going to add road base and gravel between for roads at the shop.

My old man and i walked out and looked at it at lunch said phuck it and told them to pour the driveway and parking solid concrete. Hate to spend another 15k or whatever he charges but I dont have time to set it up and I hate road maintenance i have enough of it at home

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: overanalyze

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts

Little open air timber frame porch with insulated roof option as it might become conditioned space in the future. Lot of work for 1 guy. Someone else erected the frame. I framed deck, sheathed timber frame, and beyond. Could use some more nice weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
40,545 Posts
Not sure yet, still researching. But those are what he wants they are what he'll get.

Mike.

·
Registered
17,192 Posts
When that kine of railing is done here they use guava, maybe because it's all over the place here.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't build many decks but enjoy doing it. First Trex deck I've done. Hardware store sold me the wrong colour for the border but the clients actually decided they wanted to use it. I wish we'd done a darker border personally. Deck is free standing as a ledger didn't make sense. Their exercise room window is the reason for the railing bumpout mid deck.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
40,545 Posts
I don't build many decks but enjoy doing it. First Trex deck I've done. Hardware store sold me the wrong colour for the border but the clients actually decided they wanted to use it. I wish we'd done a darker border personally. Deck is free standing as a ledger didn't make sense. Their exercise room window is the reason for the railing bumpout mid deck.

Looks great. Nice and clean.

Mike.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Railings for a job down the road. This will be the 4th deck I've built for this client.

Mike.

If so, how does that make code?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
44,211 Posts
Pile of panels turned into Doors, Drawer Fronts and Wainscot for the Island

7 more drawer fronts to glue up, couldn't do them all in an 11 hour day.

Back of the island

End panels for the island

The doors and dr frts are primed BM Dove White and the island is primed BM Aegean Teal. Not sure how accurate the Teal color is. Dark colors mixed into primer don't always come out correct. Primers aren't designed to be color accurate when tinted.

·
GC/carpenter
40,545 Posts
Are those just sticks locked in some edge trim?

If so, how does that make code?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It's not that high. This is going to be a cold bucket splash coming out of a sauna. There's going to be a pull chain that dumps cold water on you when you get out of the sauna room. He wants a somewhat hobbit looking railing.

Mike.

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
I would think those branches sandwiched between 2 pieces of trim would work fine. You would just need to flatten the baluster branches in the spots where they contacted the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Falling in love with this addition. Even more satisfying that I got to design this one. Here's to great clients. Very blessed.
Very cool

Reactions: bwiab

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Wednesday after next will turn it over, 13 weeks and a day.

Told them I'd repaint that piss yellow accent walls in the bathrooms for free if they picked a new color. They sent immediately lol

Couldn't take the drywall returns so after texture I told my guys to case... now im regretting the cove base, should of done pvc 1x6 and painted. Lots of stuff I upgraded including cabinets/door and drawer hardware, Schluter tile trim, countertop etc without changeorders...

TxElectrician has it lit up like a surgery room, good thing they are on dimmers

The old timer that used to run the day to fay site supervision on my commercial jobs when I did them called me a "house builder" as a derogatory term when I did that stuff 69 years old never done any resi work and change orders are where its at to him. Lol

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
A "House Builder"? What a low blow. The guy needs to be smacked up-side-the-head!
You'd have to meet him to get the full effect, he's a character.

Any kind of detail work there was not included in the specs to "church" or "doll" it up were bad business lol

Dude would stick to my schedule and push the subs who needed to be pushed. We both saw eye to eye on timeline is x2 on commercial vs residential :thumbsup:

My father in law was bored and retired so I ****ed that up for him and pulled him over there as site supervision. Been a lot of fun, but he might be the only super ive ever had to hold back a bit. :laughing: Dude is a pusher for sure

Reactions: DaVinciRemodel
2601 - 2620 of 2837 Posts