Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,229 Posts
So I need to order a hip cap for the porch. How does one figure what angle to tell the steel shop to bend the cap at? It's a 4/12 pitch.

I'm guessing they'll know, but just in case.....

Are you looking for the plumb cut angle?

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
45,229 Posts
So isn't there still a scissor point between the truss and the wall? When I said pack it out, I was meaning solidly build up the top plate.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
45,229 Posts
Yeah, but we'll at least be able to throw a "ratrun" at peak. I'd consider packing solid too, but plate to plate stud is slightly better.

It's really up to the inspector, and this guy likely won't say anything being he tends to overlook framing as a lower priority.

Not a problem overall, just added work on a "premium" priced panelization.

When we call framing we also call plumbing and electrical which usually takes his attention away from the framing. With that said, our inspectors are usually overwhelmed when it comes to framing. They are constantly asking for guidance from me when it comes to the plans. Even for decks. Our deck frames are not like a lot of other parts of the country, they often come with a lot of seismic detail.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
45,229 Posts
Been getting close to finishing this reno... Finally...
Our scope of nearly done, but there's been some things I'm not happy with, at all.
But it's not my call to change anything, so it'll be up to the builder if we keep getting work from him.
I've been on the decks for the last three days, and they're almost wrapped up.
I know you full time deck builders would knock these out in a day or two, but I'm trying really hard to at least get this last little bit to look as good as I can to save some face.

Anyhoo... Pics... :

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

We're slow as hell when it comes to building decks. But time isn't ever our priority.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
45,229 Posts
Just finished this deck. The section on the right with the pergola was exsisting and stayed as is. The main deck was rotted out badly which I tore out and rebuilt basically the same layout as that's what the customer wanted.

I'm not a fan of all the wood and the dark stain but the customer is happy and her deck is safe again. Just need some handrails now.

That deck works great there. Very fitting. Nice job!

Mike.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts