Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Wouldn't touch chevy gas engines at all.

These are the issue our family had

2006 avalanche 8.1 1 engine 1 transmissions
2007 avalanche 5.3 1 engine 2 transmissions
2008 Tahoe 5.3 new engine
2009 Tahoe hybrid new engine
2012 avalanche 5.3 1 new engine 1 transmission and just last week new heads and pistons

All of them burnt a qt of oil a week. My mates ones doing the same currently but it's out of warranty so he's just filling it with oil each weak.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

2012 avalanche 5.3 1 new engine 1 transmission and just last week new heads and pistons

All of them burnt a qt of oil a week. My mates ones doing the same currently but it's out of warranty so he's just filling it with oil each weak.
Lemme guess they switched to Ford?

·
Registered
585 Posts

I've never heard these things... Not saying I don't believe you but I'm surprised. I know a few people with newer 5.3s and they never complain about them. Many more people with older 4.3s, 4.8s and 5.3s (2000-2005ish) and they seem to go forever... I've always heard good things about 6.0s but don't know anyone with them.

I have to wonder if the trucks you listed were all worked on by incompetent techs/grease monkeys... "Accidentally" run dry during oil changes etc.

Back to the OP, it looks like a sweet truck to me. From everything I've heard the 6.0s are solid engines just a bit thirsty.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I've never had a problem with chevy motors. Even my baby 4.8 pulls 10k several times a week. It's got 50k and no problems at all.

But I won't buy a truck that has plowed. It's very hard on a truck.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've never had a problem with chevy motors. Even my baby 4.8 pulls 10k several times a week. It's got 50k and no problems at all.

Same here, I'd never buy a truck with a plow unless it was a steal. Plowing is tough on tranny's and rears.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hahahaah couldn help myself I have 2- GMC's, and a Chevy
2007- GMC 2500HD Vortec 6.0 41,000 Never had issues
2009- GMC 1500 5.3 70,000 Never had issues
2000- Chevy 5.7 325,000+ drove daily never more than routine maintenance.

At the end of the day if you take care of any of them they will be good to you. Yes even Ford's Barri. We have had them all only one that was piss poor was a 97' dodge and it started out fine we were hard on it so I dont even fault it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Id have nothing negative to say at all about a chevy if it wasnt for the plow !
Its not that plowing is so bad its you dont know the operator or how they did it or what they might have hit doing it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If it's been on craigslist for a few days and it's still on that probably means something is wrong or it's overpriced. Deals do not last around here, usually the dealers buy to resell. Buddy just sold his 1500 for what he thought was a high price, sold with in a few hours and it was a dealer that bought it. Good truck, but you can buy a new work truck standard cab with warranty, zero miles, better financing for around 30

·
Registered
555 Posts
We bought 3 trucks pretty much the same thing 2 winters ago. 1 2007 and 2 2009 between 80-100k on them, all 6.0's all crew cabs. They do like the gas no issues with the engines so far, they all should be in the 175-200k range now, haven't checked them lately.

One of the 09's had to have trans work week after we bought it but lucky it was under 100k and was still under gm warranty.

07 just had some vibration in the trans, don't remember what it was from but wasn't too costly. The 07 did have a plow on it and you can tell, bolts, etc pretty rusty on undercarriage. Depends how long you plan to have the truck, long term the plowing may be an issue unless the previous owner did a super clean up after plowing.

The price seems decent, all ours were between 17-20k.

Good luck, finding good used truck is quite the undertaking. For us I think I will continue to find later model used trucks for our foreman, they put so many miles on them I don't think the extra year or so of service is worth the extra 10-15k.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts

Exactly what I was going to say, NEVER will buy a truck that had a plow. It is like getting into a minor accident everytime your blade hits a bump, curb, etc...

I learned the hardway, bought a 3/4 ton with V10 and didn't know it had a plow. I was having bad shaking issues with the front end, if I hit a bump at 55 or higher it would shutter so bad a would lose control until I could get it slowed down, scared the chit out of me! The truck was 3 years old and the service shop showed me where the brackets had been for a plow on the front.

All bushings, shocks, basically everything on the front end was shot and needed replaced. You could see where the shock towers had actually ovaled the holes. It was expensive and I sold the truck, never again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts