Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have started on this job finally. There have been some delays. Today was an orientation type day. Foundation guys did an awesome job. It's square, it's level, and it's flat. Bolts could be a little better, but hey...I'll take it with no complaints.

This is, obviously, going to be a winter frame and there is going to be snow and cold. I was hoping to give some of my perspective on things in this type of weather, some things to do and hopefully, some things people can help with.

The home is 4400 SF. Everything is dimensional, no I-Joists, no trusses, a standard hip roof with a simple curved rafter area on the front, 8' walls, ZIP system. There's nothing real tricky about it. Beam system is kind of a pain, it's all flush, not dropped.

I didn't take a picture at quitting time. This was our start. It's supposed to get cold and windy tomorrow. We'll see how we hold out.

This is the first floor walls.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Right On :thumbsup:

Workin' in the cold sure beats not workin'

Where's the foundation for the back porch? (imo) It needs to slide north so it walks into the great room...

get'r dry:notworthy

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right On :thumbsup:

Workin' in the cold sure beats not workin'

Where's the foundation for the back porch? (imo) It needs to slide north so it walks into the great room...

get'r dry:notworthy
That is a 3 season porch that the HO is going to do. 2X12X16 pt 12" oc. on piers. He wants to pound a few nails. Yeah, now that you say that, it does look odd there.

LOL, yeah, dry is not going to be as much problem as snow and ice.

The Kubota, I have no idea. It's one of those mini's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics, framerman.

It's going to be interesting watching this one go up. Really nice, clean looking foundation.

We're now doing only our second home construction in the winter, and I have to agree with Warner ... I kinda like working in the cold vs. working in the really hot summer heat. You can always put more clothes on to stay warm, but you can only take off so many clothes in the summer to cool off :laughing:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I look forward to watching this frame progress. I hope the weather is decent for you. How tall are the walls on that? The only time we build on basement foundations is if the lot is sloped and then its a daylight basement.
We have full basements here because our frost is 4'-5' down in the winter. 8' walls, usually slightly under to put grade nails on the concrete panels.

I've always framed the floor before backfilling wall that tall, Ever had any problems?
That drawing is cool is that sketchup?
Sit down for a second. Ready? They don't even put rebar in the walls here for residential. Very few do. This is a 10" wall, which I feel is unusual. Never seen a problem, it amazes me.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's me, and 2 full time guys. I have a 4th who I can bring in at any time. The HO helped today! He was actually decent. I had him cut for me. I wasn't paying attention, he had a Ryobi saw that the table was bent. Had a few joists that the end cuts were about 5° off. I gave him **** about his HD saw :laughing: He made up for it with a nice Bostich framing nailer.

This was the start of our day. It was cold, and it's going to be colder tomorrow. 15-25 with a good wind. I can handle the temp, but the wind sucks. Some of the problems the warmer weather guys don't get, with the cold, your nose runs. So you're constantly wiping your nose, which gets wicked sore. Lips are chapped, fingers get cracked, you get dehydrated quickly and you don't notice, anything metal sucks the heat out of you.

Here's the end. Pretty much ready except for the few LVL's we are missing. It was entirely DFir for material. That's a first for me, even with my time in Seattle. The big hole in the front gets filled in tomorrow morning.

Isn't this purty? I love how floors look when they're close to being done.

We got into this zone. No one was saying anything, just putting pieces together, it was music to me. I put the iPhone up and started recording audio LOL. Kind of weird, but it's funny how everyone uses the tools. I can definitely pick me out starting at 2:38. I also am wondering WTF everyone else is doing :laughing:

audio clip

·
Registered
330 Posts
hey,framerman
Today will seem like a picnic compared to tomorrow.
How did you like the doug-fir ? was it consistent in dimension ?

We are seeing a lot more of it in the larger 2x stock. It use to be special order and some would come trough KD and other stock not KD like the 2x10 would be select stru. KD and the 2x12 would be air dried boy did that make for some interesting shrink factors .

Do you have to make some adjustment for the different shrinking factors in the LVL and d-fir it looks like you let the LVL in to the mud sill?

The next couple days should be good building days good luck work safe!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It's me, and 2 full time guys....

We got into this zone. No one was saying anything, just putting pieces together, it was music to me. I put the iPhone up and started recording audio LOL. Kind of weird, but it's funny how everyone uses the tools. I can definitely pick me out starting at 2:38. I also am wondering WTF everyone else is doing :laughing:

audio clip
I wanted to extend you a "Thank you" for the audio clip.

It's like serene mood music for framers.:thumbup: I guess that one is the "The Floor Framer's Waltz". Next, we pick up the pace with "The Wall Banger's Rock and Roll March", followed by an old seasonal classic, "Up on the Rooftop". Ho Ho Ho! :laughing: :clap:

And with all the cool pics, it's like getting an e-postcard. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 284 Posts