Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ContractorTalk Flunkie
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one of these "Porter Cable 371K 2 1/2" x 14" Compact Belt Sander" and after running a very short time it gets very hot :furious:. I know the fricton causes heat but this thing gets a lil too hot for comfort. Is this just mine or the norm with this sander. It sure is a handy size for certain jobs.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The ones we have get pretty hot too. Hot I guess is relative, they get hot, but not so hot to stop from using them or smelling funny or anything like that.

The thing is compact so I expect that's contributing to it.

We only use them for small things, shaping mostly (like a formica counter top) to scribe it or to scribe a filler strip here and there. It's small so it's for small jobs.

·
ContractorTalk Flunkie
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read some reviews on Amazon, Nearly everyone was complaining about the heat, guess it is relative to the tool. You are right Mike, it is made for small jobs, however, the lil sucker gets hot pretty dang fast. Thanks eveyone, Good to see ya Tom, hope all is well

·
Registered
264 Posts
They get hot ( then they die...) I had 3 of these belt sanders in 1 month and they all had some issue with them. Absolutly the biggest garbage out there for sanders. Maybe if my wife wants to file her nails with it it could handle it, but sharpening my pencil on the job, it would prolly over heat...( PC sure has went downhill on their router and sanders, not to mention there garbage cordless line )

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
whattya expect black and decker owns em now!!!!

most of the pc gear for sale now is homeowner grade. seems like their dropping black and decker and making pc the replacement so dewalt is the top of the line.

pretty sad because 5 years ago pc was one of the top tool companys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts