Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowes has them and they're extremely cheap ($249 for a combo set with 4 tools) compared to Milwaukee or DeWalt. Add on tools like an angle grinder or jigsaw are like 60 bucks. They seem pretty sturdy, and my business partner is thinking about buying a set. Could get set up with several tools and batteries for about the cost of a new Milwaukee Fuel drill and impact driver with 2 batteries. Any thoughts? Or does anyone have any reviews on these?

Edit: brain fart. Title of thread should say 20 volt. Why in damn hell can't we edit thread titles with the iPad app?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The PC line has essentially gone homeowner since B&D took them over. This was an intentional move by the company. DeWalt is their "premium" or "contractor grade" line, and Black & Decker now competes with Playschool/Bob the Builder at Toys R Us. I don't think the PC stuff is really designed for day in, day out service.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had their 18 volt NiCad set prior to this new 20v set. I was not impressed. Battery life was subpar, both circular and recip saw were underpowered. The flashlight was the only good part of the kit.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to cordless tools.

I do have the Dewalt 20 volt set with the big and small battery packs, and I have been pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
The PC line has essentially gone homeowner since B&D took them over. This was an intentional move by the company. DeWalt is their "premium" or "contractor grade" line, and Black & Decker now competes with Playschool/Bob the Builder at Toys R Us. I don't think the PC stuff is really designed for day in, day out service.
I think that was their plan, to have a line of tools to compete with homedepots ryobi line.

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
I think that was their plan, to have a line of tools to compete with homedepots ryobi line.
they first stared with fire storm. but 95% of the tools sold at lows are junk

·
Registered
411 Posts
The 20v combo pack is junk. The drill is cheap and all plastic. I did however buy the drill/impact driver set. The drills are much higher quality than that of the one in the combo pack. The chuck is metal, it feels of much higher quality, and it has a battery gauge. Great weight and balance on it as well. I've been using them for a few days now, and I'm not disappointed yet. I'll let ya know if my opinion changes. By the way, I bought and returned the combo pack, believing it had the quality drill that was displayed in it. Felt like false advertising.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The new PC drills are a massive step up in build quality from the previous 18v PC stuff. I would say on par with rigid stuff at the very least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts