Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used 3/4 Birch Plywood for mine I am sure you could easily add plates, tracks, ect were you would want. Mine is a simpler version of the Paulk bench this thing is a game changer, crazy handy and on the big jobs, were we are staying set-up, helps with organization.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
We also use the Keter folding work surfaces. They are really sturdy and light. We keep one in the van and have another we use as a miter saw stand. $50-$60 at Sams, Costco, and online.

Attachments

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
We also use the Keter folding work surfaces. They are really sturdy and light. We keep one in the van and have another we use as a miter saw stand. $50-$60 at Sams, Costco, and online.
Is that one the adjustable leg one?

I have one but it does not have the adjustable legs. I wish it did. I am 6' tall and wish it was just a touch taller for me to be a bit more comfortable working at it. Otherwise, I love it. I think it holds more weight than the adjustable leg one but not by much IIRC.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
Yes both of ours have the adjustable legs. We almost always use them on the highest setting. We had it onsite with a ton of heavy porcelain tiles stacked on it last week and it was solid.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Costco has the same bench under the Durabench name for $99 shipped. I have both a Vika and a Durabench, and other than the color, they are identical. I really like them, but think they are a bit heavy. I also have a MFT. I like them both. With the MFT you can clamp a door along the front or back.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I recently joined the Ron Paulk workbench crowd. It is a little much to drag out and set up, but once it is set up I totally love it. The electrical EMT that supports the table saw holds my Bosch GTS, and I don't find it to be adequate. I do need to put a support leg under the front of the table saw, or possibly replace the EMT with rigid pipe.
I initially wanted to build the workbench at 7 feet of length, as opposed to the full 8 foot. However I went ahead and made it a full 4x8 workbench as designed. What I do like about the two-piece design of the Paulk workbench, is that I can drag out just one piece and have a 2 by 8 foot work surface that is extremely handy!

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Still a few holes to drill. The legs are work stands that I built yrs ago, I made an adapter to mount the Paulk Bench, but I'm not sure it will stay this way. To much to haul arround.
The one good thing about my work stands, is that they mount 1 section of the Paulk Bench really well. And using one 2x8 section is very practical.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
I love it Aaron. Nice job on the set up. I could see what you mean by lugging around but must be a pleasure to have when working.

·
Part-Time Wannabe
31 Posts
The electrical EMT that supports the table saw holds my Bosch GTS, and I don't find it to be adequate.
I never tried to use EMT, I used 3/4" rigid for mine from the get-go, and it works very well hanging my DeWalt 7490 (the big DeWalt portable saw) from my Paulk Bench. I used an online pipe deflection calculator and the published numbers for 1" EMT and 3/4" rigid, and that sold me. 3/4" rigid theoretically deflects 25% less than 1" EMT using the numbers I "guestimated." 3/4" rigid is also available at my Lowe's, so I didn't have to go to an electrical supply store.

The only 2 issues with using the 3/4" rigid was 1) I had to drill 1 1/16" holes, and finding a bit to do that was difficult; forstners are available, but expensive, so I used a router guide bushing, template and plunge bit combination that gave me a 1 1/16" hole. 2) the pipe is a tight fit in the hole, so I had to use a file to remove the globs of excess zinc on the outside of the pipe to prevent it from snagging when it slides in and out.

The best part is that I bought 2 pieces of 10' rigid and only used 6' of each, so I combined the remaining 4' pieces with a rigid 90 and voila, free vacuum boom arm ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0sS3cya7staRnc1Tkp3cVRiM00

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
I never tried to use EMT, I used 3/4" rigid for mine from the get-go, and it works very well hanging my DeWalt 7490 (the big DeWalt portable saw) from my Paulk Bench. I used an online pipe deflection calculator and the published numbers for 1" EMT and 3/4" rigid
Link?:thumbsup:

·
Part-Time Wannabe
31 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
This is my portable bench. Its light, easy to move and you can tear it down or set it up in under 2 min.
Its not as pretty as some of the benches in this thread but suits my needs perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
This is my portable bench. Its light, easy to move and you can tear it down or set it up in under 2 min.
Its not as pretty as some of the benches in this thread but suits my needs perfectly.
Great idea. Mine is a 4x8 sheet of 1-inch MDF with a few holes drilled in it on saw horses. Weighs a ton. So I may do something up like yours. Thx!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I made mine from 2 sheets of 5/8 AC.
The table top is 40"x7'. Just big enough to work on a pre hung 3'x6'8" door. Because the top folds its easy to store. No problem to carry through a furnished house. I cut the holes for the handle wider than normal so if you have on bulky winter gloves its easily graspable.
I need to replace the right angle brackets for mounting the table. They need to be longer. Right now its a knuckle buster.
The 2 main beams in the frame are doubled 5/8 ply. With single ply cross members, half laps.
This bench has changed my life....

·
Registered
110 Posts
So for an ideal size portable bench what size would you guys say or use. Im thinking im going to build a paulk bench but not sure what size would be best. Four by eight im sure is nice but a bit large for transport dayly. Mft3 is roughly two and a half by four im thinking to small. Im thinking three by five would be good. Small enough to transport easily and big enough to use for most thing what do u guys think. I can make it out of baltic birch because it is easier to get nere me rather than russian birch too.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts